Mild/ low grade abnormalities

Hi, I’m booked in for a colposcopy on 11/10/16 to test for HPV. My results for my smear came back stating abnormal results and unlikely you have cancer. Immediately I broke down and thought the worse!
Since receiving the appointment I’ve spoken to a lovely nurse from the colposcopy unit who told me I have mild abnormalities and low grade but need testing for HPV.
I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and am I just overthinking that something bad will be found. This is my first abnormal result so it’s all new to me.
I’d appreciate some advice and information.
Many thanks.

Hi have just joined forum and made comments about my own experience. I too have mild/low grade abnormalities and was tested for hpv at the same time. As i have tested negative for hpv I now return to normal screening which is in 5 years as I'm over 50. As you cam imagine I'm not a happy bunny about this. I understand that hpv can cause most cervical cancer but not all. Have now been put in the position that I will have to go for a private smear test in a years  see if abnormalities have gone stayed the same or got worse. Thinking maybe to start a petition highlighting this as I know if you reach 100,000 signatures it will be discussed in parliament. Going for a colposcopy is no fun but better to be safe than sorry. They will be able to find out exactly what is going on in your cervix. I personally would rather have this done than wait and worry. Good luck fingers crossed all will go well for you.

Thank you, it's my first abnormal result and colposcopy so feeling a bit worried. Hopefully it'll all be okay.

Thanks again.