Mental health after treatment

Hi all 

First of all I want to start by saying that I, by no means, want to sound like I don't appreciate my life and how grateful I am of the outcome of my recent smear test. But, I feel like this whole experience has had a really negative effect on me.

I am fully aware that my situation could be a hell of a lot worse. But, at the moment, I just can't help but feel depressed. I am left wondering if what has happened over the past few months is the reason for that. Does anyone else feel like their experience has knocked them down a bit?

I feel like I was so strong throughout the whole process. People were very supportive of me and were constantly worried about me and checking up on me. But I genuinely felt like there was nothing to be afraid of. Of course I prepared for the worst case scenario, but at the same time I knew I would be capable of putting up a good fight.

Thankfully, all that was needed was a LLETZ (under GA) and I'm being checked in 6 months time. It's been 4 weeks since my LLETZ and just yesterday I have stopped experiencing the side effects from the operation. I was expecting to feel elated but now I just feel drained. Over the past few weeks I have been upset over very small trivial things, almost like PMS but it's all of the time!

I feel like I have used up all of my positive energy and I'm struggling to be happy again.

If anyone else has felt like this, it would be great to hear from you. 

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Don't  worry you're not alone and I think a lot of women have felt like this at some point no matter where they are, it's pretty stressful stuff especially the waiting and the worry of the unknown.

Personally I've had various highs and lows over the last few years and I generally consider myself to be a strong and optimistic person. When I had my first op it knocked me for six and I underestimated how worried I was. I also found going into hospital hugely stressful especially being around other women going through similar or worse things than me. I think it's quite a shock to the system. 

i think we sometimes give ourselves a hard time for crying but I'm slowly getting better at it. 

If you can it's worth talking to a few close friends or family too and maybe taking some time out to do some positive things.

I hope you feel better about it all soon x