Mass on cervix / Colposcopy

Hi everyone,

Like many others, I’ve been silently lurking and reading all of your stories & experiences and I already can’t explain the reassurance and comfort I have felt from all of you.

So this is my first post! (a long one)

To get into it - I’m 26 and I’ve been experiencing recurrent UTI’s since March (which I suspect is a separate issue, maybe?). I’ve been on and off antibiotics since then, however whenever it clears up I still experience pain which I naively assumed was kidney pain, but Ive been told is actually pelvic pain. It’s constantly there, usually on my right side but sometimes on both, sometimes really painful, other times in the background. Sometimes it feels like it’s in my bones and can spread down my thigh. Because the UTI side of things were mine and my GP’s main focus, certain other symptoms had been overlooked such as bleeding after sex, bleeding in between periods, and pain during sex.

I last had a smear January 2021 which came back normal, so last week I went to see my GP (this was because I was experiencing a weird painful bloating in my abdomen after I peed) he decided on the day that he would do a vaginal and abdominal exam… I found this really difficult to be honest. I have PTSD from an assault I experienced as a teenager so I’ve always had a woman do exams like this before… so having a man (especially one I don’t know) do this examination was really upsetting for me anyways.

After the examination he told me he had discovered a mass on my cervix and therefore sent me for an urgent referral for a colposcopy and biopsy and a referral to the gyno urology(?) department. My colposcopy is tomorrow which I am terrified about, especially because I was told on the phone I wasn’t allowed to have my partner with me (the woman was really rude on the phone, she didn’t explain why and was really dismissive and unempathetic when I told her I have PTSD) so that hasn’t helped my anxiety. I’ve been prescribed diazepam to take for the procedure so hopefully that will help.

So, my main questions are if anyone has any experience or thoughts?

• Has anyone had any similar urinary problems related to CC?

• Has anyone been referred for a colposcopy because of a mass/growth that’s been discovered? It seems a lot of people are usually referred due to abnormal smear test results?

• What can I expect from the colposcopy and biopsy? Any tips or advice? Will they be understanding if I share I have PTSD etc?

I was in hospital for urine related problems in March (tmi: my pee looked like coca cola) and I was having pain in my sides, lower back etc. I had a CT scan on my kidneys nothing showed up, no follow up. In my CT scan it also showed my IUD and menstrual cup - surely it would have shown the mass? Unless it’s appeared after then?

I feel really in shock at the prospect it could be CC related, and I can’t help but think that all this time I’ve struggled with this pain and perceived it as solely UTI related and it might not be. I’m barely sleeping, eating, and keep obviously thinking the worst :frowning: At least my appt is tomorrow, but nervous that it may be a long wait to find out any results.

Hi!

I’m afraid I’m not able to help about the urology issues but I have had 2 colposcopies recently and in my experience the women were very lovely and understanding, I cried the first time I went. I’m sure that if you tell them your worries they will put you at ease, and for me the colposcopy was painless and actually less uncomfortable than a smear.

It’s great that you’re being seen so soon, whatever it is, and it could end up being something non-sinister but at least you will get to know very soon. There’s no point in saying try not to worry as I am the worst for it, but everyone on here is always around if you need to chat.

Let us know how it goes x