Lower Abdominal pain post laparoscopic hysterectomy

Hi 

I’m a little over 4 weeks post total laparoscopic hysterectomy. My issue is that since Friday (3days) I’ve had lower abdominal pain/discomfort which has needed paracetamol and ibuprofen, feels like period cramps?! I haven’t taken any painkillers in over 2 weeks. I have dipped my urine and it’s negative, I don’t think I have a vaginal cuff infection, but how would I know. I’m aware of the vaginal cuff, I can feel it a little (not physically but I can feel it’s a little tender). I have no abnormal/offensive discharge just a little brown staining.

I have been walking since I came home however on Thursday I potentially overdid things by walking 3 miles and then doing the food shopping (I didn’t carry the bags). 

I’m wondering if anyone else has had this or has any advise. I’m intending on taking it easy over the next few days and if things don’t settle I’ll see the GP. I know all you can ladies are great for advice so thought I’d ask here.

Thanks

Hi Lotty,

Glad to see you are doing well, your certainly doing better than me anyway.  I’m still on painkillers but reduced to only 2 rounds a day.  I am quite sore still, particularly in the morning. Feel better once the tablets kick in.  I am on my second round of antibiotics for what is believed to be a UTI, blaming the catheter that I had in for 2 weeks.

I also experience the pains in the lower abdomen that your are on about, I have just put it down to phantom period pains lol as I would be due round about now. Not 100% sure it is this but it kinda put my mind at ease.  

This is definitely a mental battle for me, it’s like I have made a list of complications that can happen after surgery and when one doesn’t happen I just move down the list.  My latest worry is a prolapse lol.  Got checked by my GP today and she said there is no evidence of anything.    

I definitely don’t think 5 weeks is long enough off work, I am no where near ready to go back, signed off till 4th Nov just now however GP is convinced it isn’t long enough and will review me near the time.  Can you get your sick line extended?  

Elated to see you pathology came back clear, feel like we have been on this journey together.  Take it easy.  Thinking of you. 

X

Thanks for your reply Dee, I was wondering how you were getting on. I’m delighted that you too have NED from your pathology!

Prolapse has always been my biggest fear, even when discussing hysterectomy. My consultant told me she put a fe extra support sutures in because she knew how worried I was.

I’ve got the GP this afternoon and I’ll have a chat with him about it all. I’ve very likely been doing too much and pushing myself as I’m not a very patient patient! I think I’m actually the worst patient lol. I went to bed early last night as I really didn’t feel well and slept for 11 hours! I heard of for me, I do feel slightly better this morning. 

Glad to hear you are doing well and getting there. Take everyday one day at a time and soon it’ll be a memory (if only I could take my own advice). 

xxxxx

Hi Lotty!

Im sorry to hear your having a little bit of a rough time, i think you have done a little too much! You sound just like I will be tho. Im so happy to hear that you have NED and thats it now onwards and upwards. Same for you too dee78.

I think we all just need to remember how massive this op is. I for sure have no intention of returning to work until i am fit and well enough. Ive actually had a meeting today with HR (standard procedure for cancer) and they have been amazing, they will even vist me at home to discuss things when im ready to come back. I cant coe back until THEY say I cant. Sorry, a little off topic but anyway. I hope your receovery doesnt take to much of a bad turn, if in dobut go to the doctors girls 

xx

Thanks Haylesd

I saw the GP today who told me I have unrealistic expectations signed me off until 25th Oct with an appt to return and he expects I’ll be off longer. So he’s basically told me off, and I’ve to rest and accept it’ll take time. 

So im now behaving and will make sure I’m totally fit before going back to work.

Hope you’re operation goes well Haylesd when the time comes xxx