Low Bloods 2/3weeks after treatment ends

Hi
Jist looking to see if this is a common problem or not.
I have now finished my treatment (6 cisplatin, 25 ext radio and 4 brachy).
3 weeks ago for chemo and 17 days ago for brachy.
Last week I developed a blocked sweat gland in my groin area which is something that I’ve suffered from since I was a teenager so I didn’t panic too much about itbut thought I’d get my own local doc to check it for me.
Doc gave me antibiotic as she said I wouldnt have mich immunity so this would clear it up. Whilst I was there, she took some bloods and sent them away. My wbc, hb and neuts all came back very low. I phoned the Beatson helpline where I was treated and the operator said not to panic but if I felt unwell then call them asap.
I went back to docs as she wanted to take another sample last Fri and they have comeback even lower.
Does anyone know if this is normal? I feel okay except from tiredness!
Thanks
P x

I had this. 

My white blood count went down to 0.2!!! They monitored me in hospital and took bloods every day. They wouldnt let me come home till they had improved. I think if your red cells are low they can give you a transfusion. I had one and instantly felt better. I was blacking out my red cells were at 56. My consultant wouldn't let me go below 90. Luckily my HB went up by 95 so I didn't need a third transfusion. 

My consultant said to me the chemo is still working after the treatment finishes and it  away at all the cells. 

Hope this helps a little xx

It does help lozleypezz....just have to hope they start to pick up so that I dont have to go into hospital. I have two of my little girls birthdays next week and have booked parties etc, now I'm worried incase I carch an infection too. Did you feel breathless when your bloods were low? I dont know if its jist because I'm anxious or not! Its not too bad but thinking it could just my body telling me to slow down and have more rest.

How you finished your treatment now? How are you keeping?

Px

Hi Pauline  I think it is common for your bloods to be low.  My braccy Dr told me that the treatment was still working away, eating into our healthy cells and bone marrow etc. Yuck. 

I expect your breathlessness is down to low iron levels so maybe hammer the green veg etc maybe even iron tablets if your Dr recommends it. I also drank echinacea tea which is supposed to help your immune system.

I think the main worry about catching an infection was because of tge chemo - if you were ill during treatment it might have affected your ability to take it. I'm not sure but that was my understanding.  

Make sure you are not overdoing things though - remember your body has just been through a lot!

I hope the parties are great X 

I don’t really remember feeling breathless. I was very light headed.

I’ve had to have bloods done today which was a nice surprise as I wasn’t expecting that!

My white cells are improving which is good but by red has gone down again since my brachy. My consultant isn’t happy with me being below 90 HB. Today’s was 82 I’m probably having another transfusion this week.

Radio therapy is still ongoing as I had ten more sessions due to only having one Brachy. I finish for the second time on the 11th xx

Hi Pauline I hope you start to feel better soon. I know it will be worrying when your blood is low you do get breathless and sometimes like a hammering noise in your head> I lost so much blood before Diagnosis I had to take 3 Iron tablets a day but started to feel so much better. Try to rest more until your body picks up again and drink plenty of water. It will improve over time the chemo we had has a big affect on our red & white cells thats why they check it every week before chemo. if you feel unwell go back and talk to your doctor you have been through enough to last you a life time. Lots of love xx

Well got yesterdays blood results and they've inproved so doc has said that I've to go in another 4 weeks to get them taken again but I've to keep taking my temps daily for another week and if I feel inwrll in any way, seek medical attention. Feeling a bit of relief (for today anyway lol).

Does anyone have any mild cramps after treatment has ended. Not all the time and not too painful...just light but I'm wondering if this normal or not!?!

Wonder what my next worry will be!

x

Hi Pauline so good to hear your bloods have improved that will be a relief? sorry i cant answer about the cramps I get them now but still going through treatment. I hope some of the other ladies can answer this for you. It is just one worry after another I wonder when it stops and we get some peace of mind. I hope you feel well soon xx