Long wait for cell changes treatment

Hi everyone,

I’m 25 and had my first smear on 11th May. I have no symptoms and it was just my first routine smear so expected no problems. After not hearing anything about my results I phoned my GP and nearly 8 weeks later I got my results as HPV positive a with high risk HPV and high grade (moderate) dyskaryosis. 2 weeks later I had a colposcopy which they said showed high grade cell changes and they took a punch biopsy. They said I would more than likely need to return for treatment but would wait for the biopsy results which would take 4-6 weeks. Fast forward to 6 weeks I have once again had no results, after several calls the clinic I was eventually able to speak to a nurse who said there is no cancer but CIN 2 and 3 and I need to have loop treatment. I currently have no appointment date scheduled and the nurse said they like to try to do it within 6-8 weeks of results.
Has anyone else had a similar experience of waiting for what feels like forever for results and next steps.
I’m struggling with the waiting around. This will have taken nearly 6 months from initial smear to treatment by the time my appointment comes through. It’s an ordeal that feels like it is going to go on forever and I can’t help but think how long until cancer actually will develop at this stage.

1 Like

Hi Summer, I can understand your concerns, I have the same situation but I’m a year in,
I waited 11 weeks for my results, told I need another lletz, my third, and I’m also still waiting for an appointment, I’ve had to make a bit of a nuisance of myself to get someone to realise they had missed me, but ultimatley it will be 20 weeks since my last treatment, I’m also high grade cin 3 with hpv, my point being, people slip through the cracks, the service is overwhelmed so you have to really look after your own health, educate yourself as much as you can and I wish you the best of luck x

Hi Robin,

So sorry to hear that I can’t imagine how stressful that must be 11 weeks is just ridiculous. Somehow mustered some courage to ask for clarification on the next appointment and explained I’m going out of my mind, later they called with an appointment in a months time so I’m taking that as positive progress. Hope your third lletz will be your final one you have to do🤞🏻 X

So pleased for you Summer im glad your feeling a little more positive, fingers crossed your treatment is a complete success, best wishes x x x

Hi @Summer12 I have come across your post and thought I’d reach out as I seem to be going through something similar. Last week I had a colposcopy and punch biopsy following an abnormal smear result, moderate cell changes and HPV positive, and now waiting for results. When having the colposcopy the consultant did say I’ll need to have treatment to have the abnormal cells removed but will need the biopsy results first.
Have you had your LOOP treatment carried out yet? X