LLETZ

I wasn’t entirely sure which forum to post this in as I am new but I am 26 and put my smear off for just over a year as I suffer from severe anxiety and the idea of getting it done panicked me. Eventually I did and had an abnormal smear. I then had a colposcopy and biopsy which came back as showing moderate pre-cancerous changes. In 2 days I have an LLETZ and as you can imagine I am anxious. I am having it under local and am on propranolol at the moment which I’m hoping will help me avoid a panic attack. But can someone please tell me what to expect and what the recovery will be like? Also I am on my period but hopefully will just have finished by then… will this be ok? Thank you in advance.

Hi! 

Im sorry to hear you're feeling so anxious about the procedure, hopefully I can put your mind at rest! I had Lletz yesterday afternoon following severe changes (CIN3) found during biosy (smear only shown borderline). Like you I felt incredibly anxious but I can honestly say it's fine! My husband was shocked when I walked out the treatment room 20 minutes after walking in, it was over so quickly! The worst part was the local but it just a quick sting and then nothing! The nurse with me was amazing and reassured me constantly. So far I've had mild cramping (nothing anadin extra coudn't shift) and slight bleeding, similar to a normal period. Please don't worry, it won't be as bad as you're expecting, no different to the biopsy procedure you've already experienced. 

Take care, hope all goes well x