LLETZ under GA - My Experience

Hey everyone, 

This morning, I had my LLETZ procedure under general anaesthetic, and I wanted to share my experience in the hope that I can help reassure others who are going through the same thing and were/are as anxious as me! 

I arrived at the day surgery at 7am and was immediately taken through to the ward, where I was assigned a cubicle and given some privacy to change into the gown and pants. I was also asked for a urine sample, which they tested for pregnancy. Whilst in the cubicle, a nurse, the gynaecologist and anaesthetist came to see me, and talked through the procedure and made sure I was okay. I lost track of time a bit, but I would say just before 9, the theatre assistant came to take me through to theatre. He was absolutely lovely and put me at ease, chatting to me about my job and generally just distracting me. He kept talking to me as the anaesthetist inserted the canulla (just felt like a sharp scratch, but was over quickly). I was then given oxygen and told to take deep breaths and the GA was administered. The GA felt a bit weird but not unbearable - just cold and a bit achey as it went up the vein in my arm. I started to go a bit lightheaded, but it wasn't as scary as I imagined (I was a bit fearful of feeling like I'd lost control). It was quick but gradual at the same time somehow, and my vision started to blur and then I was out of it. The next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room with a nurse by my side. I didn't feel confused or disorientated or anything - I actually found myself continuing the conversation I'd been having prior to being put under! (which might have been a bit confusing for THEM as it was a different staff member!). Basically, it felt like no time had passed. My obs were taken and I was wheeled back through to the day surgery ward, electrolytes in situ for rehydration. I was given a sandwich and 2 cups of juice to drink, which I ate quickly as I think I was hungrier than I realised. I didn't feel nauseous at all. The staff made an effort to come and chat to me, which was nice. Once the electrolytes were finished, my obs were taken again and my canulla was removed (after a pee, which they say you need to have before you can be discharged!). I was then given privacy to get dressed, and they called my mum to come and pick me up. It is now 2 hours since I got home, and I am on the sofa feeling okay and watching Shrek. They gave me paracetamol and codeine to take every 6 hours. 

I will update this thread in the next few days to let you know how I'm feeling then, and I am happy to answer any questions. I really hope that this has been helpful for anyone who is worried about this procedure under GA. I promise that it was absolutely fine, and you don't feel or remember ANYTHING. 

Now just to wait for results! 

Good luck to all of you in your journeys. 

Cara 

Hello thank you for uploading this thread.

It is nice to hear from someone having the same procedure as myself.

I'm going in on Tuesday for my general aesthetic operation LLETZ.

I have been quite worried to be honest regarding this and even more worried as 34 years old and have no children yet and me & my partner are desperate to start trying.

I'm unsure if once healed I can proceed with trying and not go back on my pill or I will have to wait the 6 months for my results.

Also how much bleeding did you have my pill finishes the Friday of the week of my op so my period due soon after will this operation affect my period??

I would imagine that once you've healed after LLETZ (they say it takes about 4 weeks, or until there is no more bleeding), it'd be fine to carry on as usual/try for children, as I've heard nothing to the contrary. Please don't quote me on that though - maybe call the Jo's Trust helpline/the gynaecology department? Or the Ask The Experts feature on this website might be useful. I had lots of questions too and made many calls before my procedure, so you're not the only one!

My pill finished on Wednesday, and my surgery was 2 days later on the Friday. My period started last night, as scheduled, and at the moment, my cramps are slightly worse than usual, but nothing unmanageable (taking regular co-dydramol still, which helps). Before my period started, I was having some discharge, but it was minimal - like occasional watery blood in small amounts (sorry if that's a bit graphic!). I think, in general, women tend to report a heavier, crampier period after having LLETZ, which is certainly my experience. How were you after the colposcopy/punch biopsies, if you had them? My period was heavier then too, so maybe that's a marker for how I'm feeling now!

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck for Tuesday, and wishing you a speedy recovery :)

Hi Thank you for your reply very helpful information :) 

I had my operation today it actually went ok so far I feel ok just abit weak but not much or any bleeding yet.

I've been advised my my gynology consultant to carry on my pill as due to stop on Thursday for my 7 day break he said carry it on as be good to have the normal bleeding from the op rather than my period then when I've finished the 2nd 21 day packet have my normal packet and his happy for my to start trying for a baby.

I'm to have my follow up smear in 6 months.

I did have alot of bleeding after my biopsy colposcopy it was like a double period tbh quite bad so not sure if this will be the same or worse. 

Do you have children?

Sorry if too personal? 

Thanks again for message and support (worrying times all these ops and tests for us woman)

Glad it went well - rest up and take as much time as you need. Sounds like positive news from the consultant. Glad you were able to get answers to your questions. I'm now 5 days post surgery, and I'm finding this pain/bleeding not as bad as post-biopsies. I've been told I'll be seen at the Colposcopy clinic when my results are back to just to check. Bit nervous about that, but guess they're just being precautious. 

I don't have children yet. I'm 24, so this was my first ever screening - pleased my GP wrote me the letter inviting me so early, as otherwise I could have not been checked until 25!

Hello, 

Did you feel sick or dizzy at all. I had the day after my op to rest but have come back to work today and feel really weak and sickey like i have run a marathon (Not that i would know what that feel's like lol ) I just don't feel right. 

I'm still only getting discharge on my pad no bleeding yet and achey down there and on my back and legs. 

How come you got to go to the colopscopy clinic for the result's (Did they say??) 

Hope it's all good news for you when the results do come in. 

I haven't felt sick, but I have felt lightheaded. It hit me on the walk home from work yesterday. I think it was probably weakness related. 

Take it easy as much as you can - don't push yourself to do more than you feel able to :)

Not sure why! Gonna try not to worry too much... 

Thank you; I hope its good news for you too!