LLETZ treatment and chance of cancer

Hi everyone

As some of you have probably felt, I'm absolutely terrified. I had my first smear in January this year, received abnormal results of high grade moderate dyskaryosis and HPV found. I went for my colpolscopy and had a biopsy taken because the doctor said she didn't want to do treatment that day in case they took away more of my cervix than was necessary. The doctor said my results would show I either needed high grade or low grade treatment. I asked the doctor, and 3 nurses who were also in the room, whether I had cancer, they all responded with "No" and the doctor doing the colposcopy said "No it doesn't look like it".

I got a letter last week saying I needed LLETZ (high grade) treatment. I have also seen a viral post on facebook from a woman who is 32, ignored smears and when she did go had abnormal cells, HPV, then had a biopsy taken, LLETZ treatment and they've diagnosed her with cervical cancer.

Will I get diagnosed with cancer after my LLETZ? Do they not pick up cancer on your smear or biopsy? Would the doctors and nurses know if I had cancer at the point that they said I didn't? I am terrified. I have a 1 year old daughter and have to wait until 24th March for LLETZ treatment and feel like I'm worrying sick in the meantime. Please let me know if anyone has any similar experiences x

Please try not to worry, I know that is easier said than done as I suffered from Health Anxiety and needed councilling after my treatment in 2016. 

I had Lletz taken on the day I attended my appointment for what I had been told was high grade. I got advised after my Lletz they had removed moderate dyskaryosis with clear margins on my Lletz and then 6 months on my test of cure in May 2017 got a normal result. 

Whatever happens make sure to attend your appointment. You can also always ring the nurses at the clinic, I was advised to do this as they know how to calm you down and offer reassurance as can the people at JO's Trust.

Hi I had my smear in January also. And got the same results as you (hpv and high grade (moderate) dyskaryosis.

i had my colposcopy yesterday. The nurse advised I had whatever treatment she suggested at the time. I ended up having the wire loop and also cone biopsy under local anaesthetic.

she didn't say too much other than I will get my results in the post in a couple of weeks. All she said was there was patches of "mucus cells". I don't have a clue what that means.

Im dreading the results. I don't know what CIN I am, but researching I can't seem to find anyone who had both wire loop and cone together at the same time so it's making g me think it's really bad :'(

Maybe try ringing your doctors for more info?

Also, I have read that sometimes they can see if it is cancer although I don't know if they would say?

when I went for my smear test, the nurse said everything looked ok. But it clearly isn't!