First time and terrified

Hi all,

Recently had my smear result back, high grade (severe) dyskaryosis. My heart sank, the words high grade and severe sent alarm bells ringing. I broke down into tears.

My colposcopy is scheduled in a couple of weeks, and as everyone does I turned to the interne.

Being 24, 25 in June, receiving that result has been very daunting. The chances of it being cancerous are very slim, but from what I've read from others forum posts there are three levels of abnormalities and people showing as severe have all posted about cell removal, lletz. That is what scares me.

Please can someone help me understand lletz, is that always the case for people with high grade dyskaryosis? And what does that mean for me in the future?

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Hi, I had lletz in jan and have to say it was fine. I had it under GA as I have glandular neoplasia and I’m also really nervous so dr felt it would be easier if I was asleep and not tense and terrified. 

the actual procedure doesn’t take long - 15ish mins. They use a wire loop to remove the affected area and send his away for analysis. From my understanding of cell changes are low grade they will often leave them and keep an eye on it as they can return to normal but high grade would be treated. Personally I would prefer them to be removed and not worrying about what’s happening inside me. I’ve had my kids already but they did assure me I could still have children and the lletz wouldn’t affect fertility (just some risks to prem labour but that can be monitored). I now have a follow up colposcopy in 6 months to see if any cells remain or have returned. 

Try not to worry (impossible I know). From my understanding the lletz treatment is very successful and honestly not as bad as it sounds