LLETZ results different to smear results

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone can help. My most recent smear test results showed that I had HPV and moderate dyskaryosis. I was sent for a colposcopy and the dr said I needed a LLETZ treatment (without explaining what this was or any side effects). I had not understood that I was about to undergo a minor surgery but thought it was important to have any potential abnormal cells removed.

The results of the LLETZ showed that I only have grade 1 changes and I’m not sure how this could have happened. I’m upset as I feel I’ve undergone an unnecessary procedure that may affect my future pregnancies. I can’t get an appointment with any doctor to help so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you x

1 Like

Hi, this wasn’t my experience but just as a “what could’ve been”, I had the same smear results as you, went for colposcopy and Lletz and my results unfortunately did not confirm my smear results but cervical cancer stage 1b1. Smears are only around 70% reliable and from my experience it’s probably better to be safe than sorry.

I’m sure that there are people with more experience than me, but perhaps your smear was correct but the cells were shed prior to lletz, I believe this must be possible for people to have HPV/Low grade changes and then be clear at their next smear

1 Like

Hello

This happened to my daughter in June. She had cinn2 for over two years and they finally decided to do a Letts procedure under a general. The results were a cinn1 and cells removed. The consultant said all clear.
Only six months later we are upset to find out she has cinn 1 again with HPV.

2 Likes

Hello. I had exactly the same experience! My biopsy showed CIN2, so I had lletz. My lletz results came back with only CIN1. I felt the same as you, it felt like the whole thing was unnecessary and I went through all of that just to remove low grade changes. Unfortunately, my 6 month check up wasn’t clear so I was referred back to a colposcopy (waiting on biopsy results again now).

I asked the Dr about this, and why the results were different. He explained to me, that when they do the biopsy, they take the worst looking bit. The chances are, they removed the CIN2 from the biopsy, so it only left CIN1 for the lletz. I hope this helps in some way!

1 Like

Hey , I had the same experience but opposite way around. Smear this year showed high risk HPV and moderate dyskaryosis. The biopsy showed CIN2, there was then a delay between my biopsy and LLETZ due to the strikes, and my LLETZ then came back worse with CIN3 and they had to remove more of my cervix than initially thought.

It makes me think , was the delay in-between appointments a contributing factor? Or did the person who initially did the biopsy mess it up (to be honest she was hopeless and her bed side manor had much to be desired). I know it takes a while for CIN to progress, but mine in one year has gone from HPV and no cell changes, to CIN 2 in a year, then CIN 3 within a month.

Please don’t worry about it affecting future pregnancies, the statistics are hopeful regarding LLETZ and future pregnancies, you just need to let your midwife know you’ve had the procedure. I believe this is why they only conduct up to 3 LLETZ procedures. x