LLETZ after CIN3 diagnosis

Hi everyone, my name’s Annie and I’m 30. I’m looking for reassurance and a place to chat with others who are going through the same thing as me.

I recently had my yearly smear test and results came back as HPV positive (have had HPV for 3 years now) and also abnormal cells. A week after my results, I had a colposcopy. I was so nervous for this and cried all the way through. The nurses were lovely and supportive, but I was still a complete mess. They didn’t take a biopsy because it was clear enough that I had CIN3.

They confirmed I need LLETZ under general anaesthetic. They didn’t want to do the procedure there and then because of the position of the cells and also how nervous I was. I burst into tears when I was told this. Going under GA is my biggest fear and I have terrible anxiety around anything medical. I always faint at smear tests and blood tests. The thought of having an IV and being put to sleep is not something I can come to terms with. I know there are people out there dealing with much worse and I feel so silly for feeling this terrified. I await my letter confirming my surgery date… dreading it!

If anyone has experienced LLETZ under GA or knows how to keep calm and mentally prepare for this, please share your story. I am incredibly worried about the procedure and also the results of the abnormal cells.

1 Like

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. THe main thing is you’re getting treated and it’s not cancer! If it were, you would have to become very familiar with IVs - I can understand how anxious you must feel about having a GA, but is actually not that bad. You really don’t know much at all. I’ve always been anxious going in, and shocked to wake up fine when I didn’t actually realise I’d been to sleep - it’s that quick. Please try not to worry about it - having said that, I’ve been crying going in, but ALWAYS grateful afterwards that I was spared the alternative - which is having invasive things done to you when you’re awake. I had two cataract surgeries in 2008 and 2013 - the first under ‘sedation’ and it was really traumatic. I hate someone fiddling with my eyes. The second (on their recommendation because of my distress) was GA and I was fine.

I also had 2 x LLETZ and a knife cone biopsy, all under GA - major surgery = GA, brachytherapy = GA. All fine, very grateful. You will be fine. As someone said, ‘Feel the fear and do it anyway’. What is important is that you get treated before there is an opportunity for it to develop into cancer. X

2 Likes

Hello Annie
I’m sorry to hear you are so upset - I can recommend calling Jo’s helpline for help and advice about dealing with the anxiety surrounding this. You are not alone in feeling anxious but they may be able to give you some tips and support. Jacks has given you some excellent advice and support so far. Remember that your medical team have your best interests at heart and are also being supportive about your anxiety. It’s important that you tell them about your worries about GA so that they can continue to support you. The Ask the Expert service on here may also be able to advise you. It’s important that you get your lletz done so that your medical team can identify the grade of your cell abnormalities and if necessary give you further treatment. Usually the lletz is enough to remove cell abnormalities with clear margins so that you can get on with the rest of your life safe in the knowledge that the abnormalities have been caught early and have gone before they have a chance to turn into something worse. The screening programme is about cancer prevention and is very successful in the UK provided you keep attending check ups and are aware of what is normal for you and get symptoms checked. I was very stressed about having the lletz done but once it was done and out if the way I realised that the fear of anticipation was worse than the procedure itself. Let us know how you get on.
A x

Hi Annie. I recently had a gallbladder op. Would say the GA was zero problems looking back. No problems going to sleep, you wake up and it’s done and behind you. My motto is “just look away” :joy: Xx

1 Like

Hi Annie I had lletz and laser treatment under a GA 5 weeks ago and as it was my first GA I was more worried about that than the procedure but hand on heart it was just like falling asleep and waking up worst bit for me was the scratch of the needle in the back of your hand but that’s it!!! The whole experience for me was very positive. I wish you all the best lovely. Take care xx

2 Likes

Hi I had Lletz under GA for CGIN late last year. It went fine. Everyone in the hospital were so nice and caring. The anaesthetist could see I was very nervous and was so reassuring and kind. It was over in a flash and I was back at home a couple of hours later. Worrying about results is so normal but I knew I was in the best hands for whatever treatment I needed. Try not to Google. I ended up giving myself a slot each day to worry and then once that slot closed I would try and get on with my life. Easier said than done I know. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I had a lletz under general anaesthetic. It was actually my second one; the first one I had was with a local anaesthetic. I was nervous, but the team were so good they all put my mind at rest. The anesthetic worked quite quickly and the next thing I knew I was waking up asking the nurse how long it was likely to take. I was very surprised when she informed me it was all finished! In some ways the general anaesthetic lletz was more comfortable than when I had local. I’m sure you’ll be fine but make sure you inform them if you’re feeling worried as I’m sure they will be able to reassure you.
Good luck, xx

1 Like

Hi Annie, I can totally relate to your nervousness. I was literally told today that I’ve got to have LLETZ/something of that nature under general anaesthetic to remove my abnormal cells. The GA aspect was both reassuring (my colposcopy was definitely one of the more traumatic experiences I’ve had so being unconscious sounds better) and scary (I’ve never had anything done under GA before). I’m not great with needles either, so I can relate to that. My only advice on that side is definitely just look away and get the medical team to talk to you about random things like what you’re doing at the weekend etc etc. This has helped me with a number of injections and blood tests.

You’re definitely not alone, but trust in the medical science that all of these professionals know what they’re doing and can help you if you need it.

1 Like