Large polyp

Hi, i went to see gyn nurse after experiencing very slight bleeding and pain for a few months. I had been charting it which i know now sounds incredibly stupid but i just thought id check it was actual thing before contacting gp. My periods are still regular they have just become heavier and painful. Anyway turns out my smear is due in September so she decided to give me a smear. It didn’t manage smear as when she tried to put speculum in she said she could see a very large polyp and i had started to bleed heavily. It also hurt like hell, not your regular speculum level of discomfort but sharp pain. Anyway the nurse said she was very concerned and wanted me referred under two weeks, i have received my letter this morning my appointments in two weeks. I am worried and i feel like my brain is tricking me because ive been in pain since examination, and i feel pressure and weight down there. Ive read everywhere polyps are harmless and 9 out of 10 urgent referals dont result in anything bag. So i have numbers on my side. My last smear was ok and my mum had cervical cancer at same age i am now. She had a hysterectomy and all was well.

Hi, a similar kind of thing happened to me this week although they didn’t seem to think mine was a polyp. Sending lots of love to you. My appointment isn’t till 4th August.

Hey lovely I had my appointment today and it was definitely a polyp, Gyn doctor wasnt concerned about my symptoms of sporadic bleeding and pain and believes because i am severely obese, that could be the cause. During examination she removed polyp using twisting method, it took a while for bleeding to stop so she was concerned and made me wait incase it needed a stich, she explained because i was a “big girl” she was unable to see clearly so asked a collegue to have a second look. He confirmed bleeding had stopped and cervix looked normal. He said he couldn’t comment on polyp as he didnt do removal. The polyp was a fair size but just looked like a little blob in its pot. I have to go back in four weeks for smear and punch biopsy as she said she couldnt do it today. I feel relieved but very embarrassed, embarrassed about my weight and for letting my head run away with me, i am embarrassed at getting referred under two week pathway as i clearly didnt need it. Feeling heavy tonight like i have solid tampon in but not much in the way of cramps or anything. I hope everything goes well for you next week x

1 Like

Thank you. Hope your next appointment goes well too. Great news that they found it to be a polyp. Lots of love and best wishes xxx

Hi marias how did you get on, i still havent had results but i am confident all is well because they have been with doctor over a week. I hope you got on ok.