Infection after lletz

Hi everyone, I wanted to submit this on here as when this happened to me the other night I struggled to find many stories of anyone who had experienced the same/similar thing. 

Exactly 1 week after my lletz treatment (CIN3) I started bleeding very heavily all of a sudden, I rang my doctors who prescribed me antibiotics over the phone, they advised if the bleeding got any heavier I must go to A&E. It did get heavier and I also started passing blood clots (these were very big) too, I went to A&E where I was seen fairly quickly due to heavy loss of blood. After 4 hours I was then transferred to another hospital where there was a gynaecology unit. I waited there to see the doctor, who then also got one of the senior doctors to come and see me too, they told me that the best thing to do was try and clear inside and then try and pack where the bleed was coming from. 

I had to have a catheter first of all, then the doctor started pulling all of these clots out of me. I could not believe how many there were it easily filled a bowl, then I was put on a drip to try and stop the bleeding. They told me if the packing didn't work I would have to go to theatre.

I was then transferred to the ward as I had to stay overnight, I was so worried I couldn't get any sleep I couldn't quite believe what had just happened as up until that night I hadn't had anything but a very small amount of dischage. The next day my doctor who first performed the treatment came to visit me on the ward, I felt so relieved to see her. She said this wasn't common but it does happen which did put me as ease slightly, later on that day she look me down again, removed the packing and said she would try and do all she could to prevent me having to go to theatre. After undergoing local anaesthetic again she then cauterised where the bleed was coming from. I could not believe that such a tiny area could cause so much bleeding! 

I was sent back to the ward and a couple of hours later she came to check on me and said she was happy for me to be discharged once I had passed urine again, I was terrified to go to the toilet but luckily it was a lot better. I have been perscriped antibitoics signed off work for a week and I am now just resting up at home. It was such a scary experience and so unexpected I just wondered if anyone had experienced the same or a similar thing, I would hate to scare anyone as for this to happen is I think very rare! But I would love to hear if anyone has, I am now passing only small amounts of blood and I think the scab is starting to come away, I'm panicking every time I go to the toilet now! :-( xx

Hi victoria10,

i too had an infection after my operation (grade 3) about a week after I felt very run down, overheating and not to go into too much detail not a very pleasant smell. i went to my gp and was prescribed antibiotics to clear the infection which I took for a week and had extra time off of work.

once back at work and still wearing pads one day I noticed that my trousers felt wet, luckily hey were black by when I checked I was horrified to see I was bleeding and clotting profusely! I rang 111 and they were useless and told me to go to my GP

i called the GP who were not much help, so in my panic i called the ward where I had been for my op....they told me to come to the a&e department. 

you do think ‘why me’ having gone through all the tests, procedures then to get an infection and also the bleeding but I also think it could have been worse as at least the changes were detected and something was done about it.

Still bleeding i waited around and they too finally cortarised the area to stop to stop the bleeding. All was well after that and I healed as normal so hopefully you will too.

I had a 6 month check up and today is my 1 year check up....waiting anxiously to get the appointment out of the way. I was told at my last apppintment that I still had the HPV virus so a chance the abnormal cells could come back! I’m hoping that everything is healthy and normal so that I can finally draw a line under all this as it was extremely stressful but a part of me does think after all the little things that went wrong maybe I won’t be so lucky. 

Hi Victoria10,

Just a little reply (or the intent for it to be short!)! I’m in the same situation as you! On Dec 7th I had treatment to seal the wound on my cervix caused by treatment from approx Feb, which hadn’t healed! I had spotting and the expected muckiness for 5 days then on day 6 I started bleeding extremely heavily- it did not feel right! No pain but excessive clotting and gushing of blood (excuse the description!). 

My gynaecologist had advised me to go straight to a&e if this occurred, so Following her advice I went and was admitted to hospital 4 hours later. I spent 3 days in & was treated with an IV drip of trans acid, which reduced the blood flow significantl. on Saturday the dr cauterised my cervix again & gave me the impression the bleed was a heavy period! I was embarrassed thinking I’d caused so much fuss over a period!! 

On Sunday I saw my gynea who was too not surprised to see I’d been admitted and explained that it wasn’t a period?! All very confusing. She felt that as the bleeding had reduced i could be discharged with a course of two antibiotics plus trans acid. I’m just coming to the end of my course of meds but I’ve noticed a pinkish discharge again now (sorry for the detail) and the meds have definitely made me drowsy and weak. Fingers crossed this all passes for us both soon xxxx