HPV

Hi everyone,

I'm 30 years old, I've had smears since 2012 due to unexplained bleeding. They've been 6 monthly and have been yearly since 2015. 

I have just had my last smear test back - no abnormal cells, however HPV test was positive (all over the phone as I've not actually had my letter yet)  

I'm worried, I've had HPV since at least 2015 if not back 2012 when I had mild dyskarosis and was referred for a colposcopy.

Reading online, I feel like it's fairly certain one day I'll probably get cervical cancer. I just don't understand what will be done about the fact my HPV isn't going away?

my husband is in the military so we move very frequently so the nurses/doctors never really seem to pay much attention to my history.

any advice would be welcomed, any recommended resources to read regarding HPV and cervical cancer would be good.

thanks for reading  

Hi,

I don't really have any advice, but I wanted to comment as I'm in a similar situation and would also like some answers to your questions.

I'm also 30 and have HPV (history in my signature) and must have had it for over ten years as I've been with my husband for that time. It's worrying me that it's persistent HPV, and like you I'm concerned that as I already have low grade dyskaryosis that this combined with the persistent high risk infection will eventually lead to cervical cancer without treatment.

From what I've read, the regular smears and monitoring mean that if anything does get more serious it will be caught early before it becomes cancer, but it's obviously still a worry that the expected path for people with persistent high risk HPV appears to be eventual cervical cancer and we just have to wait and keep having smears and colposcopies to catch the cells before they become cancerous. 

It's a constant worry for me. I had my most recent smear results last week and have to wait til 5th November until my colposcopy and tbh even after that I won't stop worrying because the HPV isn't going away. 

Will you have to have a colposcopy? I think it's a good sign that you haven't got any cell changes at the moment.