Hpv severe aged 49

Hi I’ve just got a letter saying I have abnormal cells CIN3 which is severe. I ham going for a coloscopy on Thursday. I am worried due to my age that it might be cancer. Anyone else my age have had this?

Dear Winnie,

Welcome to the forum, although it’s always sad in a way to meet new people, because it means they are having problems. Please don’t think that your age means it’s likely to be cancer - it’s irrelevant. We have ladies on here in their 50s and 60s with abnormal cells and no cancer, and ladies in their 20s with cancer. It’s no respecter of age. It’s good that you have a colposcopy quickly. Have you been told whether they will treat you at the same time? I have heard of ladies here who have gone for their colposcopy and instead of just having a biopsy of the tissue (to confirm the stage and check for cancer) they’ve actually been offered treatment there and then.

I’m 64 and I’ve been treated for cancer. I had CIN3 when I was 40, and it was dealt with - unfortunately it came back. There’s no predicting, and no knowing. The important thing is to make sure you have your regular smears and take the treatment they offer. You will get sorted. There’s nothing to suggest you actually have cancer now, but CIN3 has the potential to develop into cancer so it will be treated. Fingers crossed that’s all there is, and you will soon be sorted! X

1 Like

Hello I am 43 and had CIN3 and CGIN no cancer. was treated with Lletz about 7 months ago. and byopsy results from Lletz also no cancer and CIN3
Don’t worry it looks like you caught it on time and treatment will make sure it doesn’t become cancer. Take care.

1 Like

Hi Winnie, I’ve just turned 49 and had an abnormal smear result in June this year followed by a colposcopy appt within 2 weeks in July. At the appointment I was told my smear was high grade (didn’t mention what CIN) and that’s why I had been called so quickly.

I had Lletz treatment there and then which wasn’t painful at all and they took biopsies. I had to wait about 2.5 weeks for my result and I did have cervical cancer. This doesn’t mean you will.

Following my diagnosis in August I had an MRI to determine the stage which luckily was stage 1 which meant I could have an operation to treat it. In September I had a radical hysterectomy which was a complete success and I’ve not required any further treatment.

I know it’s a worrying time, however they don’t hang around with these things it’s just the waiting that’s the worst thing but keep thinking positive and I hope all goes well for you xx

1 Like

Glad to hear Lletz treatment wasn’t bad for you, I may need one X

Hi, I had a few injections in my cervix first which I didn’t feel at all and the whole process was completely pain free and lasted about 15 -20 mins. The best advice I can give you is to just relax if you can. Hope all goes well x

Thank You X

Hi Winnie,

I was diagnosed last year with CIN 2 and CGIN. I was 43. After a LLETZ couldn’t find clear margins, I had a hysterectomy in Feb due to the CGIN mainly as it was high up in the cervix. Not an easy decision at the time but my histology results after showed residual CGIN that some of the MDT team wanted to classify as stage 1. So it was the best result for me. nearly 11 months on and I’m back to my normal self. Today, I think myself so so so lucky that it was caught and dealt with early on. So in a weird way this is good news for you - it is not cancer and can be treated. My email probably could never convey how terrified I was along every step of the way but I hope my positive story helps you deal with it. There are loads of scare stories on the internet but positive ones too! You can get through this and dont be afraid to lean on family and friends for support - you’ll probably be surprised at the people who have similar experiences, I know I was. xx

3 Likes

Thank you for all your kind words of support. I had the procedure yesterday. They removed the abnormal cells and I should expect to get results in 4-6 weeks xxx

2 Likes

That’s great Winnie! Well done and everything crossed for ‘clear margins’ when you get your results. :tada:

1 Like

That’s great news Winnie. Please don’t worry. I too was 49 when I got told I had severe high grade cgin. I had a Lletz but this did not clear so had a cone biopsy and was put out. 6 month follow up came and I still had hpv. At that point my consultant thought it would be best to have a hysterectomy to prevent any further issues. I did in Feb 21 have them hysterectomy and they did find cgin so I was too glad that I had it done. It’s good to keep going for your check ups to see if anything is wrong. I am all ok now and I hope your results come back all fine too. This is a great forum for your questions and worries and so many have gone through what you are going through now and are here with kind words and support.

Take care

Niki

3 Likes

Hi Winnie

Sorry to hear you had abnormal cells on your smear test result . I had abnormal cells and Letz for Cin 3 at aged 49. The letz was done quickly and painlessly.

3 years on have had my smear come back clear. I’ve gone through menopause and take AHCC mushroom supplements to keep my immunity strong as they are anti viral and I stopped smoking. I was so nervous before colposcopy but looking back the worst thing is waiting to have the letz and waiting for the results rather than the actual treatments and recovery.

I’m just so grateful to the NHS for fast treatment and Jo’s trust for information and support.

Hope this helps.

Emma

1 Like

Hi Emma I’m Emma Also similar to u going for hysterectomy soon high grade changes etc been going on a while fingers xd it goes ok I have been taking ahcc do u drink caffeine I wonder if it’s linked to hpv again trying to reduce it as much as I can take care x

1 Like