Hpv positive

I ordered a hpv test online and my results came back positive for hpv 45 and 68. I have recentley just had a baby and im terrifed that this means i have got cancer. I have been with the same partner for 2 years who was a virgin before he met me so i couldnt have contracted the virus from him. I would have thought my body would have cleared the virus by now. What are the chances of me having cancer?

Hello. After recently having an abnormal smear I've done a lot of reading about hpv and have learnt that there are literally hundreds of different types;some of which cause non worrying things like warts. Additionally I've read that 80per cent of people get hpv through their life and the majority clear it without it causing any problems in the long run so its no surprise that your test is positive for a type of hpv (Most peoples are). DIfferent strains of hpv are more worrying than others and it seems that types 16 and 18 are most linked to cervical cancer. 

I would honestly try and relax. I'm sure that if everyone in the world was tested for hpv the majority of us would test positive. The important things is that you report any abnormal bleeding to your Dr and have your smear tests regularly to check everything is ok down there.

Do you think it would be sensible to have an appointment with your Gp with your results to set your mind at rest? Plus the test you've had May not be testing for current infection it may testing whether you've ever had an infection so perhaps your body has already cleared it

hope that helps

Thank you. I am going to try and organise an early smear as i am only 23 so ive not had one yet. I am in a bit of a painc but trying to remain level headed.