HPV Positive

Hi,

I'm new here.  I went for my smear test 3 weeks ago, yesterday I received the results that I am HPV positive, no abnormal cervical cells (I need to go back in a year for another smear test). 

I am so so worried about this result, I don't really understand it and I'm worried is this going to develop into cancer.  I really don't know how I've got this either.  I have been celibate for 15 years.

If anyone can help me understand this or even calm me down a little I would be very grateful.

Thank you B x

Hi B,

I can understand that you are worried as the most any of us know about HPV is when we are told we are positive. This site has lots of information available about HPV which may help.

HPV is a virus that can lay dormant, as some people can’t clear it, but it can become active again. It is great that there are no cell changes and that they are going to keep a close eye on you as any changes that MAY occur ( pre cancerous that is) will be picked up before they become a problem.Your body may clear the virus too.

If you have any other questions I would call your medical team or use Ask the Expert on here to reassure you. 

Its a scary thing to hear, but really you are in the best position- you are going to be monitored regularly so if there are any changes, and there might not be by the way,then they will be found and dealt with before turning nasty. Just make sure you go for your follow ups. 

hope tfats put your mind at rest. Xxx

Thank you both of you for your replies I really appreicate it.  I've also ask the expert on here.  I guess because my previous smear was all clear I just wasn't expecting this.  I am still really scared but trying to be logical about this.  Thank you again Bx

Hi Bobbi

I was also very shocked when I got the letter saying I was HPV+, also with borderline cell changes. It's good news that you don't have these, but definitely stay on top of your regular smears.

I am trying to figure out what the best lifestyle choices are to beat HPV. For other reasons I changed my lifestyle last year, and I believe exercise, healthy diet, no smoking and little alcohol are a good place to start.

Good luck to you, I think everyone gets freaked out when they get the letter x

My results were  exactly the same at Christmas I think  this virus just lays dormant and when you get stressed out and run down it makes an appearance 

Hi 

I'm in the same boat too. Normal smear tests for years. With the tests changing it revealed I'm HPV positive with no abnormal cells and on a 12 month referral for another test. I must have had this for a long long time and never knew. Devastated. More than likely given it to my partner. Worried myself totally stupidly sick. 

Me too !! Mine must have been dormant for over 20 years!! Had the year from hell stress wise last year & also introduction of hpv first testing & lo & behold! Shock of my life (& more stress)