HPV positive smear for first time

Hi… I’m a naturally anxious person so you can imagine the dread I felt when I got the call from the surgery to say my smear test recently came back as HPV positive. Apparently there are no abnormal cells as of present, which is apparently a good thing but I need to repeat the smear test in a year.
The thing I’m most confused about is it’s been years since I’ve been actually sexually active (as in I’ve not done anything sexual for years now, especially since my last smear test was normal). I’m 36 and all of the smear tests I’ve had previously have been normal.
Does this mean that I’ve had HPV all this time??? Does this mean I suddenly have high risk of getting something sinister?? I’m so anxious I’m stressed about it, and now I’m regretting starting to take the combined pill nine years or so ago and have decided to quit taking it.
I know there probably is not much people can do other than support me at this point because HPV cannot be cured, but I’m worried since it means my body failed to get rid of it before and it’s just been in my system all the time, which means it could end up developing into something?!

Hopefully someone who has been in a similar situation might be able to advise/reassure? Thanks

1 Like

Hello most people will clear it without any issues so don’t worry too much about it, you have no abnormalities in the cells that is great news. There is some studies that suggest that making your inmune system stronger can help you clear it easier. So take some vitamins, don’t smoke if you do as there is a link with smoking and HPV persistent .
There is also AHCC Google it and you can get information on it were some studies have given good results on helping clear this .
But please don’t stress the great majority of people clear it with no problems at all . Take care

1 Like

Hi Lu,

My name is Holly and I’ve just had the same experience - recieved a letter on Friday with positive high risk HPV/ normal cells and like you found it quite a shock… I have had normal smears in the past and have been with the same partner for a long time. I’m not a doctor but as I understand HPV can lie dormant in your body and show up later on too. I can understand the worry you’re experiencing but the fact that you know now means it can be monitored more closely, wich is a good thing - also HPV is a very common virus a lot of us will get in our lives, and most of the time our bodies clear it on its own. But now you know and the doctors you can be monitored and checked on. I hope this helps clear your worry and concerns, from someone who is going through the same thing. Hollyx :slight_smile:

2 Likes

welcome to the community Holly! sorry to hear you’re also going through the same, it’s hard when you receive results like this for the first time! i honestly didn’t expect it either!! i guess it must be the case that HPV can just show up after a long time… i’ve been having smears for years and this is the first one that i got back like this!
hopefully it is the case that the body will get rid of it on its own… my main concern is that it didn’t get rid of it before since it’s been dormant for a long time so i don’t know what to expect. :frowning: thank you for your reply!

thank you!! i haven’t smoked for 7 years or so, ironically i stopped because of the fear of the heightened risk of this haha! but i have been trying to take vit c, vit d etc lately. thank you for the encouragement tho, hopefully the next smear test i have will show that it has gone and i won’t have to worry! i know that i’ll stress about it for the next year if i let my health anxiety get to me haha :cry:

I stopped smoking last April when they told me I had HPV and Cin3 abnormal cells. Was really hard to stop in probably the most stressful time of my life but I did it :grin: because they told me it was the only thing they knew 100 % for sure made cell changes worst. Take care and don’t stress life is too short enjoy it :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Lu, I’m in the same boat :frowning: As least you had a call, I just received a letter; it was such a shock. I managed to schedule a call with the GP. Not sure if I got it right but I am sure she said NHS only started doing the HPV test regularly from smear three years ago. I am equally worried that should I clear it in this episode, I might not do so when my immune system is weak further down the line & then what happens??? What I don’t understand is why we can’t have the vaccine? Jx

2 Likes

Hi Lu, I had a similar letter today and to say I was shocked was an understatement. I have not been sexually active for over 10 years. I read that it clears up itself in many cases over 1-2 years but my concern is that if its been dormant in me for over 10 years, is it ever going away? I’m very anxious and worried as its very contageous, could I pass it to my children? I have told them both about the results but don’t really know what else I should be doing to protect other people. My previous tests have all been negative and this was to be my last now that I am 61.

1 Like

hi bluemoon, I’m sorry to hear you had a similar letter! Like you it must have been dormant in my system for a long time which is worrying… I would hope the body would clear it but I feel the same that if it hasn’t before now then I don’t see how it would now! I don’t think it’s passable to your children, I think it’s only spread via sexual contact (any kind) so I think that should be fine. Are you going to get a repeat test in a year even though it was going to be your last? I was told to do a repeat test to see if the virus clears itself of its own accord or if anything changes. I hope we manage to get rid of this!

yeah, am not really sure why they called me tbh! they normally don’t contact me for anything even when i have urine results, so i was rather surprised. I’m sorry to hear you also have had the positive result of HPV! I hope our bodies manage to clear the infection, but I’m very shocked I even have this after years of negative results. My immune system is fairly weakened atm too, am taking antibiotics regularly and have been fighting a recurrent underlying UTI infection for over a year, so I’m hoping my body can actually work to fight this too :confused: It is a shame we can’t have the vaccine, I’ve never understood this either!!

Yes I was told I would be tested again next year but can’t help being anxious in the meantime. In view of the time I have had it I feel it’s only a matter of time before the cells change. I’ve had so many health issues and it’s scaring me