HPV positive and High Grade Dyskaryosis

I am 42 years old and have never missed a smear test. All my results have always come back as normal until last week.I have been with my partner for 16 years and have a 23 year old son.

When I went for my smear the nurse said I had cervical ectropion, I said no one had ever told me that ( she seemed surprised at this). She asked if I bleed after intercourse ( occasionaly ) Anyway the smear was more uncomfortable and I did bleed more than usual. 

The results came 4 weeks later to say I have tested positive for HPV and High Grade Moderate Dyskaryosis. At the same time another letter came to say I had been booked in for a colposcopy ( 12 days later).

So obviously I feel scared/ anxious cant eat properley. I have looked on Google and looked at abnormal results etc. Could they have missed something. I am so worried I have got cancer .

Is anyone else feeling the same

Thanks

I too had previous all clear smears and 6 months ago my first high grade severe dyskaroysis smear result (small area in middle of my cervix) treated removed with the Loop and the biopsy confirmed exactly what the smear picked up cin 3. Please try not to worry..cancer is found but 1% of ladies in these situations. I'm just waiting on my test of cure results now (the smear you go for 6 months after treatment) x

Ladies, I believe that the fact that we are checking, monitoring and staying on top of this 'bugger'- is already a good course to follow..and hopefully will not have to face more difficult situations in the future.

love to all of you

Thankyou ladies for your replies. Its good to talk to people on here as I know we all have the same concerns/ worries.

Chloe I hope your results are good :). 

Rafaella you are right the smears are saving thousands of women a year by recognising these changes .

Hi Nick43 

It's an awful feeling seeing those results in black and white about yourself isn't it. I felt exactly the same.

I got the same letter saying high grade severe dyskaryosis in March this year after having a clear result the smear before... I recieved this letter a day after already being called by the colposcopy clinic saying they had booked me an appointment which was to go in 2 days later. So before I even got my results I knew it couldn't be good news. 

I googled and read as much as I could and scared myself a lot... I wish I could go back in time and reasure past me and ban me from Google. I'll never get back those lost hours of sleep Haha! 

Honestly, it's been a very smooth and quick process. The staff were brilliant at the colposcopy clinic, as I went in shaking rambling about things I had read online that didn't sound good etc (basically worrying about the chance of there already being cancerous cells there).

They put my mind at ease that day about cancer. I had LLETZ treatment there and then and 1 week ago recieved a letter saying the area of CIN3 had been completely removed and treated and I just have to go back for a smear in 6 months to check if the HPV virus is still there. 

Hopefully the wait doesn't feel too long until your appointment!

And write down all the worries you have and make sure they're answered/some reassurance is given on the day... as speaking face to face and hearing it out loud always puts your mind at ease much easier than anything else :) 

If you want to chat about anything relating to the colposcopy or the possible treatment let me know and I'll be happy to answer as best as I can x

Hi London Girl,

thanks for your reply. Yes you dont expect to read that letter and it to be about you. It triggers so many emotions and feelings, and also you want to find out as much info as you can !.

Dr Google doesnt help much as there is so much info , and when you type the words in . You are immediately taken to cancer sites.

Thankyou for sharing your experiences with me, no one understands unless they have been in the same situation.

Im pleased they managed to remove the cells for you. 

Thanks again Nick

I got my results today! No cells/ no hpv! So this does happen 

It is a scary process but we are in system now I had cin 3 and just had test of cure smear and come back no HPV and no cells now , so this kind of result can happen even with cin 3