HPV Positive & Abnormal Cells - Absolutely Petrified

I am absolutely petrified about what is happening to me and struggling to cope. I am 58 and up until 2021 had normal smears - i have always attended regular screening.
In March 2021 I received a HPV Positive result with no abnormal cells, and because of the HPV was put onto yearly smears.
In March 2022 I received the same result - HPV positive, no abnormal cells.
In March of this year I had my smear and have had to wait 11 weeks for the result and the whole 11 week have been so nervous. I have finally had the result this week and it is still HPV positive with low grade cell changes, and so I am being referred for a Colposcopy!

I am an extremely anxious woman with a history of both severe anxiety and depression, I am also dealing with other health issues included an overactive bladder which I have had for many years.
I am beside myself with terror and worry and am struggling to function because of this. I am constantly crying and am so very concerned that this is either cancer or will lead to cancer. My appointment in the clinic isn’t until the 27th June, which seems such a long way off, and considering I had the smear done 11 weeks ago, coupled with this wait now until the 27th I am petrified at how the cells might have changed / progressed even further.

If I could afford it I would go private but I just don’t have the funds, but the thought of having to wait until the 27th June before seeing anyone and having the colposcopy is going to destroy me…

Any advice please?

Hi,

At my last smear I had an abnormal result with severe cell changes and HPV. My previous smears had all been clear so I panicked and cried for a week l. They automatically booked me in for a colposcopy and a loop excision because they knew the cell changes were severe. The wording of the letters is horrific. I’d convinced myself it would be everywhere inside me or they’d find something else.

The nurses doing the colposcopy were lovely and so reassuring. She told me it was a small section and she removed it there and then. The worst bit was the speculum to open you up. She assured me she’d got it all when she did the loop excision. Everything was so quick. Just received my letter confirming they’d found CIN 1, 2 and 3 but it was not cancer and I just have to go back in 6 months for another smear with my GP.

I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry. Low grade cell changes will likely be CIN 1 which sorts itself out (my friend had this and was told to just come back after a year for another smear), or they won’t find cell changes on your colposcopy (they can sometimes right themselves). This forum is great for keeping yourself informed with logical and reassuring info. Stay away from googling things because you can end up down a misinformed rabbit hole.

Cell changes can take years to come into effect. I have every faith that your colposcopy result will be fine. Always here to talk if you need to. I will keep everything crossed for you x

Thank you so much for responding and sharing your experience with me - i hope you are well now.

I am in a terrible state and cannot stop worrying - by the time I get to be seen at the hospital 16 weeks will have passed since I actually had the smear and I am petrified about how they may have progressed since then. I am not functioning and cannot get the worry out of my mind…

We all know that worry all too well Lisa, it can be crippling. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t shed many a tear with anxiety and fear. But all that said, it’s so important to take it a step at a time. Just try to focus on what you do know, that your cell changes are low grade and are likely to be CIN 1,which sometimes rights itself. Generally any changes are so slow to happen, that weeks won’t make a difference. But I know they do to the person waiting those weeks :heartpulse: I called my colposcopy clinic and asked to be put on a cancellation list, if you haven’t already you could do this and explain you have anxiety and are keen to be seen as soon as possible. I ended up going in the day after I called. Above all, try to look after yourself. Do something nice for yourself every day. This is a tough time mentally so give yourself a break and go easy on yourself. X

Hi KatieT

Thankyou for responding - I am sorry to hear that you have been through similar - I wouldnt wish this worry on anyone - I feel like it is taking me over.

I did contact the hospital and tell them of my anxiety and deep rooted worries and they have brought my appoint forward a little - I now have just under three weeks to wait instead of five, but they have also put me on the cancellation list, so I am hopeful I might get a call one day - the sooner i can deal with whatever I am dealing with the better.

Once again thankyou for your support and I hope that things are better for you now. x

Thanks Lisa. I had level 2 changes and a LLETZ procedure about a month ago. The results weren’t conclusive so I am in limbo and trying to practice what I preach as far as taking it a step at a time goes! All we can do is keep going. I hope it’s sunny where you are and you can enjoy it x

1 Like

Hi KatieT

I am sorry that your results were not conclusive and you are in limbo. I am so appreciative that you responded to me despite having your own concerns - I am thinking of you and hope you soon get some results. We do have to keep going but it is hard to focus. Please let me know when you hear more. Another sunny day today so I am going to go for a little walk - take care x

Thanks Lisa, I will and I hope you enjoyed your walk. :sunny:

Hi again KatieT

Just to update - I was fortunate enough to get offered a cancellation appointment which I took without hesitation. After being prodded about by two doctors because the first one struggled with the position of my cervix, the second one told me that my cell changes were so slight that they didn’t need to do any treatment at this stage or do a biopsy - he was happy to leave it for now and do a following up in a year to check on the cells then. The doctor was lovely and talked everything through with me and did his best to put my mind at rest. I cant say that I wont worry at the time of my next check but he seemed happy to leave things for now. Just a bit sore and tender now as the colposcopy went on for a long time. Anyway I wanted to thank you for encouraging me to contact the hospital and find out about a cancellation, i might not have done it without that encouragement. I really hope you get something more conclusive regarding your results soon. Best wishes and take care x

That’s a huge relief Lisa! Just try to relax now (easier said than done I know!) You might also feel more control in the meantime to take an immunity supplement. It’s not for everyone but taking a random concoction makes me feel I am doing something :upside_down_face: I will be sending good wishes your way for a clear result next time xx

1 Like

Thank you KatieT

I am definitely going to look into upping my supplements and am going to try to relax a bit now (not easy for someone like me) - thanks for your kind words and good wishes coming your way from me too xx

Thanks so much. I am just trying to stay calm between now and October when I go back for a smear to see if the LLETZ procedure worked. :heartpulse:

Please let me know how it goes for you…positively vibes coming your way :heart: