HPV but no abnormal cells detected

My head is just all over the place. Had a phone call today while I was at work with my nurse explaining about being being HPV positive. But I didn’t feel like my mind was put at ease by her. And was told that if I worry or not it isn’t going to change anything you will have to learn to accept that fact you have HPV and learn to live with it until you have you next smear test next year. I didn’t feel no comfort hearing the way she said that. I know I keep getting told the same thing when I have a moment of upset and worry. But I am petrified. I worried sick that I’m going to be unlucky and this isn’t going to go away and my next smear next is going to be positive again and it will just get worse. Just feel like my life is now on pause and I’m trying so hard to be strong but I am scared I am a single mum to my beautiful 10 year old daughter and I just looked at my daughter and I cry because I have so much fear going on. My anxiety has never been this bad…

I’m going to the doctors tomorrow as I did mention about pain lower down and the lady who done my smear just said keep an eye on it and lady on the phone today said that’s nothing to do with HPV and I’ve been told that the nurse tomorrow may even do more tests and see if you have chlamydia. Just want to get out of this nightmare clear and healthy so I can live my life. I just can’t get my head around this. I’m so emotional just fed up being strong all the time it’s exhausting also on the phone today with a nurse I told her that I have small warts come up on my hands a few months ago but they have gone and she said that was probably something else that caused that, that’s nothing to do with HPV I’m so confused.

Hi Charmaine
I couldn’t read your post and not reply. I too have been HPV positive for my last 3 smears and this year they did find some abnormal cells but these have now been removed and hopefully all will be okay. They will keep you on the yearly smears I can imagine but think of that as a good thing that they are keeping a close eye on you and take comfort that if there are any changes then they will be picked up early enough for them to be treated. I know what you mean about anxiety as mine has been through the roof but take comfort they are keeping a close on you and HPV can become dormant again xx

1 Like

Thank you everso much for messaging, I really appreciate it. I’m so sorry to hear that Hun I’m so glad they were able to remove them and that you’re doing good. :heartbeat:

I understand they will keep an close eye on me, just can’t seem to shake this feeling off. When you say HPV can become dormant again, does that mean we will always have this? Feels like this is now my new life living with HPV and the fear of things changing again in the future. I’m so scared it’s unbelievable. Never felt like this ever in my life… like I said in my previous post the nurse wasn’t very comforting at all, which when I got off the phone I just cried because I don’t know what is going to happen and I have lost my spark and smile xx

Charmaine please stop worrying I know is difficult not to worry but numbers are on your side 90% of people will clear HPV in 2 years without any issues and if you do end up with cell changes those in most cases they go back to normal without treatment, in the case that you do end up with cell changes that need treatment ,that treatment is very fast and effective and great majority of people never have issues again.
Because of the early detection of HPV now doctors are able to treat cell changes in very early stages way before it becomes something serious. Try and read the Jo trust info on HPV , early detection is a great thing that they do it will definitely keep you safe. And please don’t feel like you are the only person with HPV most people have it at one point in their lives.

4 Likes

Hi Charmaine,
I’m in the same boat, smear test in July and got my results in August.
I have to say, it took me a while to realise that when they say hpv positive, it means positive for one of the high risk variants. No cell changes, which is such a relief.

Still, I felt and feel the same, anxiety, anger, a lot of anger! I feel cheated. Why does nobody talk about this?
And yes, most people do clear it, but a lot of people don’t and this forum is proof of it.
And what does dormant mean? It’s there forever? And do I want to pass it on? No, of course not. I know for sure, that I will never again be able to have a normal sex life, because I will not pass this rubbish virus on to anyone else.

The letter saying, if you are worried get in touch, otherwise we will call you in a year. A year! What am I supposed to do in this year?

I have to say, I have started doing my own research and been following a few stories, I know they say, there is no treatment, but I need to do something, I can’t just wait and do nothing.
So, I’m following a protocol of supplements etc, there has been some research suggesting that a few things might actually help, so why not give it a go, I thought. Nothing that would do me any harm.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is, you are not alone, I feel the same and I can’t even think of how the ladies must be feeling who have cell changes or have developed cancer! So, so glad to have found this forum! Not sure what I’d have done without this amazing support here.

I’m a single mum, too, though my child is now 21, I know what you mean, always having to stay strong. There’s only so much any of us can take at a time.
It did take a few months for me to feel a little better about it and I think I’m going to get another (paid for) test in November, just to check. Can’t wait a whole year! It will also tell which variant I have, not sure how this is going to help me, but I feel I just need to know.

Sorry, for this long message, but your post really resonated with me!

2 Likes

Hey thank you so much for messaging me… I haven’t been on here recently so I have only just seen your message. I feel alot better about things now and I have calmed down alot. Trying to control my anxiety. I suffer with anxiety really bad and have done for many years so hearing Im HPV positive my anxiety spiralled out of control. but after a few ladies reassured me that all will be okay and my immune system should fight it off… so I do feel alot better about everything.

But like you say 1 year wait, is absolutely ridiculous and makes things so much scary having to wait all that time to find out if you are clear or if anything else has changed. That does still play on my mind. I do really try hard not to think about it… I was thinking about buying a test myself but I feel there isn’t much point and won’t change the situation. Lets us hope all will be okay in a year and nothing has changed.

Like us both we are single mothers and that’s what makes everything more frightening and we get more anxious and scared. My daughter is only 10 years old. But she is my rock and she pushes me to look after myself better, which now also I’m doing all the right things to boost my immune system so let’s hope that pays off…

Hope you’re keeping well. Keep in touch here if you ever want to talk just give me a private message. We will be okay and fight this off xxx