HPV & Borderline changes

Hi everyone, I am so glad I have found this forum as I am beside myself with worry. I had a smear test 2 weeks ago and have just received the results which say I have a HPV positive result and I have some changes to the cells in my cervix called Borderline changes. I have been booked in for a colposcopy on Monday.
This sounds stupid but I knew nothing about HPV before today. I am 50 and have been married for 4 years this year, I just don’t understand how I have this. I don’t think I was tested for it at my previous smear as it wasn’t offered then. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2.5 years ago and still taking tamoxifen following mastectomy. I am so scared after what has happened over the last couple of years. I am hoping someone can ease my worries, thank you x

2 Likes

Hi there - I can imagine the shock of being told about HPV as it’s only recently been tested for; the chances are you’ve had it for years. HPV is an EXTREMELY common virus that co-exists in the human body silently and quite happily. The only problem is that some variants, over time, can cause cell changes in the cells of the cervix and VERY occasionally in other areas. It’s the cervix where it’s a problem, because it’s not something you’re looking at on a daily basis… :roll_eyes: - and borderline changes means very slightly abnormal changes that are not bad enough to be categorised as CIN - it has not yet affected the epithileum. It’s the earliest stage of changes and could well go away on it’s own. The colposcopy will highlight the area with iodine or some other dye that will look for any changes. If they think there is anything untoward, they will take a tiny pinch biopsy. It’s to make sure, so it sounds like your team are being proactive and careful with you, and this is a good thing. This may be because you had breast cancer and are taking tamoxifen, and is not regular practice to do a colposcopy for borderline changes. However, with your history I reckon it’s a good thing that you’re being properly monitored. Try not to worry. X

3 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it. I feel a lot better and hopefully all will be OK Monday. x

2 Likes

Sending you love :heart:. X

1 Like

Hey i have exactly the same thing HPV with boarder line changes. I have my appointment on the 28th march. I had the letz treatment 5 years ago. Its a nightmare i did speak with my GP and boarder line charges are low. Good luck with your appointment X

1 Like

Thank you and good luck with your appointment too x