HPV and abnormal cells - first colposcopy

Hello all,

I am really glad that I have found this forum, and I would appreciate some advice or thoughts. 

I had a smear test in March, just before lockdown, and the results came back showing abnormal cells. After another smear test in December, my smear results showed abnormal cells and high-risk HPV. I have a colposcopy within the next eight weeks or so (I don't know the date as of yet as I am still waiting on the letter). 

As the doctor found both high risk HPV and abnormal cells in my cercix, does this mean that I could potentially have cervical cancer already? I am concerned that the UK lockdown will delay my appointment. When I rang the GP to ask for advice they told me that the matter was out of their hands and that my treatment has been transferred to the hospital. 

Cervical problems/cancer runs in my family. My mother has had issues throughout her life, and had an ovary removed in her late-teens. Her mother - my grandmother - passed away from cervical cancer at the age of 50. I am 28 years old with no children. Does my family history increase my chances of developing cervical cancer?

Many thanks for your time. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this - I don't want to worry my family - so any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Rebecca 

Hi Rebecca, 

this forum is amazing, reading the posts has brought me so much comfort while I've been going through this whole colposcopy/lletz dilemma! 

all I would say is no it doesn't automatically mean you have cancer, the cells can be different levels of abnormal - did they say if yours were mild/moderate/severe? Mine were severe changes and I was referred for my colposcopy within 2 weeks, so I imagine that yours is 8 weeks would mean the changes aren't too bad? 

sorry to hear about your family history, I can't comment on that as I don't know if it runs in the family but from what I have learnt it's usually based on the HPV virus which wouldn't have anything to do with family history - I think that's just luck of the draw! 

I was so anxious when I first got referred, I called the colposcopy clinic and they were really helpful and answered all of my questions about cell changes and any other anxious thoughts I had, so maybe give them a ring if your gp aren't able to offer any help! 

fingers crossed all goes well and you will be fine. I had my lletz done 3 weeks ago and am still nervously waiting for my results!

best of luck! 

Hi Rebecca

This forum really is great! If I was the first to reply to you I think I would have said exactly what Rachael has said almost word for word! So I don't want to write a whole long message saying the same thing but I totally get why you would feel concerned given your family history but as Rachael said anyone can develop HPV.

Given you had one in March and another in December means they weren't too concerned in March and just wanted to keep an eye on you, it's a good place to be in the system. My colposcopy was a week and 2 days after receiving my letter stating HPV and high grade severe abnormal cells so it does depend on what the grading is of your abnormal cells as to how quick your colposcopy will be.

If you want to talk to anyone in more detail about your concerns surrounding your family history you could call the gynae/colposcopy department where you will be attending to chat to one of the nurses, or you could call Jo's helpline or email Jo's 'Ask the Expert' which are both great services.

Will check back soon x

Hello,

I am 25, I had my first smear 3 weeks ago, the results come back today as abnormal, it states presence of high risk HPV and that on further analysis to the cells there has shown an abnormality known as high grade dyskaryosis (moderate). It sais that this diagnosis usually requires treatment and I've been booked straight in for a colposcopy on the 19th. I have awful anxiety (I have GAD) and I'm only 25 with a 2 year old and a 3 year old and I'm petrified! Can anyone share there experiences with similiar smear results and if the colposcopy is painful? 

Hi Rachael

Many thanks for your reply, this is really helpful. My results did not say what level of severity - it simply said 'we checked for changes to the cells in your cervix and we have seen changes.' I am guessing that after the colposcopy they will be able to provide more details as to the level. I will certainly ring the clinic and try to get more information about my appointment. 

Thanks again, and best of luck to you too! <3 

Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I will certainly ring the clinic and see what advice they can offer me. I am trying not to panic as I know that they are doing their best, and I am glad that they have caught this (hopefully) early on.

Thanks again! <3