How long for biopsy results??

Hi everyone!

I've been quietly reading all the posts and has been helping me through this already but one thing I'd like to know is how long everyone waited for their biopsy results?

I had my colposcopy two weeks ago and I am just getting more and more anxious! 

Is the longer the wait, better the news?

Not sure what to think so if anyone could share, that'd be great

Thanks all x 

Hi Bellabianca, 

I think it can vary by region quite a bit. I had the same process as you last year during the pandemic. I had my colposcopy on June 30th, 2020 and got my results by July 17th - so just less than three weeks. My result was CIN1 so I am back at the point where I have to get a repeat smear next week (hence why I am lurking around this forum again). 

I hope you hear back soon! I know the waiting can be tough. If it's any consolation, I found that once I had my results of CIN1, it pretty much went out of my head until I knew I was due my smear again. Now, it's back to worrying a bit, but hopefully my mind will be put at ease again soon, as I know most cases of CIN1 go back to normal on their own. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Hi Bellabianca, 

I had a colopscopy and biopsy a day before you, so on 22nd April, and am still waiting for results. This is my second experience of this, and checking back the last time results took 4 weeks for the letter to land on my doormat (that was in 2014). I was told this time that I could ring the colposcopy clinic after 8 weeks if results had not turned up by then.

Completely agree with Meg94: I was shocked to get an abnormal result again as I had put the whole thing out of my head! But back to the worrying, waiting, and practically snatching the mail out of the postman's hand (though my colposcopy appointment arrived by email before the results letter by post, so it's quite likely that would happen again if I am summoned back). I received an NHS-branded letter last Friday inviting me to book my Covid jab, but my heart rate went sky-high before opened it as for a minute I thought it was the biopsy results!

Thank you both!! It's all so new to me, this is my second smear so it's nice to be able to chat to people with similar situations on here x 

Hiya,

I had my smear on 17th March and I think it took 3-4 weeks to get the result from that. My first smear in 2018 arrived back in 2 weeks so I instantly started to panic when the results took longer to come back. But tried to bare in mind covid and vaccine roll out was probably having an impact!

Had my results letter on 9th April saying positive hrHPV and borderline changes and that I would receive an appointment for colposcopy within two weeks. Appointment letter arrived on 12th April for an appointment on 14th April.

I had two biopsies and due to the nurse being unsure if they were CIN1 or CIN2 she said that my case would definitely be reviewed at MDT once the results were back. She said results would take 2-3 weeks and MDT was in May so hadn't expected to hear anything until after the MDT.

Had a letter on 1st May to say that my biopsy results were back and that they didn't match my smear results and so would be reviewed at MDT on 17th May. So I won't hear anything else now until after this date. But I did ring the hospital to find out about my results as the letter freaked me out a bit! Typically I received the letter on the Saturday of the bank holiday so couldn't speak to anyone until the Tuesday!

The nurse I spoke to was able to tell me my results came back as CIN2 and low grade CGIN. So at MDT they will likely decide I need the LLETZ treatment.

So I have been quite lucky in how quickly everything has progressed so far. The longest wait being for the monthly MDT to roll around again for my results to be reviewed.

I live on the Cornwall/Devon border so live in Cornwall but closest hospital is in Devon so that's where I have had my appointments barring my original smear which I had at my local GP surgery.

I don't know if this helps at all but I totally sympathise with the anxiety and waiting.

Sending best wishes and I hope you get your results through soon! X

As I half expected, an (electronic) letter turned up yesterday inviting me to a colposcopy appointment next Monday. Still no biopsy results so, after the postman had walked past my house this morning, I phoned the clinic to find out why I've been invited in. The clinic were happy to read over the phone the letter that is presumably winging its way to me - my biopsy has shown CIN2 and LLETZ is suggested. This is from a borderline smear result.

Hi Bellabianca,

Have you had your results yet? I hope it was good news if so.