High grade (severe) dyskaryosis

Hi,

Received my results form my smear test this week, high grade (severe) dyskarosis. Awaiting a letter from hospital, should arrive with in 5 working days for a colposcopy.

Trying not to worry but it’s freaking me out the wording high grade and severe!!

Had a smear every five years and all been fine! The waiting is the hardest bit isn’t it!

I’m only familiar with CIN and I thought they graded at an appointment after abnormal results so a little unsure exactly what they found from my smear!

Penny

Hopefully I can help as your screening result is the same as mine was.

High grade vs low grade refers to how abnormal the cells look. Severe refers to the area of the cervix affected. Remember that this is only an estimate as the cells have been brushed off your cervix. Cervical screening is not diagnostic 

When you go for colposcopy, the doctor can see your whole cervix and assess the area affected accurately. 

Depending on your age and the policy in your area, the doctor will either treat with lletz there and then (as happened to me) or will take biopsies. Either way, the removed tissue will be sent for analysis and only then can they grade the cells. In most cases, high grade on the screening matches with CIN 2 or 3 but occasionally there are discrepancies between screening and biopsy analysis. 

Hope this helps.

Jx 

It does help thank you, from reading on here that's what I had guessed but you are right don't know anything really until I go! 
waiting for the appointment to come through is awful! 
Thank you for your reply! X

Hi I got my results on Thursday and had same high grade severe I’ve never been so scared in my life and knowing now the hpv has been in my body 20 years it’s so scary I’ve got my appointment for 23rd which can’t come quick enough xx

The waiting is definitely the worst. I lost 3 pounds in the week between my screening letter and my colposcopy appointment with the worrying. Definitely easier to cope once you know what you are dealing with. 

Glad you have your appointment that's good, it is scary isn't it, I'm 35 and have had all my smears and all been fine, I'm getting very stressed as had my smear back in August and was told the lab was backed up and results were taking longer to be tested. Now I have had my letter I just keep thinking it was such a long time ago! 

Absolutely it's the fear of the unknown isn't it! 

It’s the scariest thing I’ve ever been through to say me and my daughter nearly died 10 years ago I had a ruptured placenta we was both luck, my baby is 11 months old and after having her I feel numb down below and keep getting pains in my back and groin area xx it’s been 10 weeks since I went and got results and I agree it’s scary how long we waiting for results xx

Hi all,

This is my first time posting. I have had a bit of a backwards journey to the colposcopy clinic and actually went for something else (un cervical cells related) which my GP referred me for when carrying out my smear where they did they usually acetic acid test anyway even though I wasn't there for that which showed I had abnormal cells. The colposcopist thought CIN 1/2 and took some biopsies which came back CIN 1/2 as she predicted. In the mean time I have had my letter from the cervical screening scheme staying I have high grade (severe) dyskariosis! I am so confused as to how a less thourough test shows a more severe result and now I am petrified that when I have the LLETZ treatment that because they will take a larger areas, understanding that the biopsy is only a tiny area that they might find CIN 3 or worse! 

I am told by the doctor that she took the sample from the bit that looked the worse when she applied the acetic acid and that she wasn't overly concerned but equally told me it is not an exact science and therefore can be some discrepancies but will be surprised if they find anything above CIN 1/2 or cancer. I know that I won't know until I get my results but wondered whether anyone else had anything similar. I should add my last smear 4 years ago ( yes I am stupid and left it an extra year) was normal and I am told that and it's widely documented that it takes 10 or more years for Cervical Cancer to develop but equally I am now paranoid my first test was not accurate and didn't detect any changes! Honestly I am tieing myself up in knots! I thought it would just be the biopsy and that's it, waiting for that was hard now having to wait a second time will not be easy. Also I have read horror stories about a smear saying border line changes then to come back as  early cancer! Has anyone else had a similar situation? 
Thanks in advance :) 

Hi Sunflower

You’re smear test is a screening test, so your severe high grade dyskaryosis means there are a large number of very abnormal cells in the sample. It doesn’t tell you what they actually are. You’re colposcopy and biopsies are accurate as they are diagnostic.
Have you been referred back to colposcopy?
Try not to worry as you’ve had a doctor examine your cervix closely already. They may take some cells from higher up in your cervix to make sure the higher grade abnormalities are not glandular (in your cervical canal).
xxxx

Hi Lotty,

thank you for your reply. I have, I've been referred for LLETZ which is this Thursday. I am not worried about the procedure as such ( ok maybe a little as if rather not have to have it done but grateful all the same I am able to have access to preventative treatment) as I didn't even feel when they took the punch biopsy but I am worried about the result due to the disparity in my results so far. It's confusing as if the colposcopist didn't think she could see any CIN 3 then I guess my question is is why did the smear think I have CIN 3? I should be happy because the punch biopsy says CIN 1/2 but I think because I have had a bit of an unpredictable journey here I'm a bit skeptical and untrusting is results because I have two that say two different things. Also I have posted a different post elsewhere but I was told I had ectropion, would the colposcopist have been able to see any cell changes using the acetic acid test as I know that's glandular cells? She told me she took the sample from the worse looking bit that turned the most white.

I hope that makes sense and I am just over thinking everything which is my best skill! I think it's because like everyone here I never expected to be thrusted into this process three weeks ago! 

Still no letter with referral appointment for me, the 5 days advised in the letter is tomorrow so will phone and chase tomorrow if no letter, I just want the date so I can stop wondering when it will be!! 

I can totally understand your apprehension due to the discrepancy, I would be the same. Ask the questions when you have your appointment.

An ectropian is usually seem as a red patch on the cervix, it should be visible at colposcopy. 

Xxxx