High grade Dyskprasia appointment Thursday

Hi I’m 25 yo have a daughter who turns 8 in 2 weeks. I had my results for my smear test on Tuesday along with another letter from the hospital asking for me a colposcopy. As my levels are so high for my first smear at 25 and the appointment is so close I am very worried. Had anyone else had this experience? All friends I know had to wait 2 weeks for a letter and another 2 for an appointment. My friend has her smear before me, low grade found and her appointment is March. I am so worried, it’s all new to me. 

I had a terribly abusive relationship for over 6 years, it’s caused me to be very anxious and self conscious therefore my smear was a terrible experience for me I was in tears with my nurse and still think about it now. I had to ask her to stop that it was so uncomfortable. How am I going to have a colposcopy done without freaking out? 

I dont one want to feel the way I do, but all signs do not seem good at the moment, I am in a hole and need some advice please 

chelsie xx

Hi Chelsie

I had my results and coloscopy appointment at about the same time (a couple of days before Christmas) - I was due to have LLETZ under local on 2nd Jan, but was so anxious they couldn't carry out the treatment there and then (I'd had a very painful smear too).  They made a quick appointment for me to have it in hospital under general.  The good thing is that they are acting very quickly when they find abnormalities. 

I have another lot of LLETZ booked under general and again they have arranged this very quickly.  I need to have a pre assessement for the procedure which I guess holds things up for a bit.

Maybe if you contact them about your anxiety and fears they may well find a way of making the procedure more comfortable for you.  Having the LLETZ treatment whilst I was asleep took a lot of  the panic and anxiety away beforehand.

Thinking of you.

Take care 

xx

Don't worry about it hun, it really is not that different from a smear! I actually found it more bearable than a smear test because I had a whole team (colcoscopist and 2 nurses) who were lovely and funny and talked through the whole procedure! I also had the courage to watch the whole procedure on screen while the colcoscopist explained what he was doing and I found it really interesting (I mean how many women are lucky to see what their cervix actually looks like on a giant colour screen lol). Seriously though, I am sorry to read about your abusive relationship and I can't imagine the trauma it must have left you with but please try to not think of the treatment as something invasive but rather preventative. You are in good hands and whatever the outcome they will look after you and make sure you are ok. Good luck x