High grade cells found in smear, colposcopy not showing anything obvious, several biopsies taken told could be in birthing canal

Hi,

So I have just had my 3rd colposcopy done today, 3rd in 2 years. So during the chat before the colposcopy I was told that high grade cells were found from my smear sample, the Nurse was concerned because my immune system isn't getting rid of the hpv. Nothing obvious was found during the examination, however they took several biopsies because she explained there is high grade cells somewhere, possibly the birthing canal. Didn't ask what this would mean unfortunately, I will be going back definitely even if the biopsies come back ok because she has said she wants to see me in 6 months regardless of results. But now I'm wondering what would this mean if it was elsewhere? Has anyone had this before and what happened? 

Hi

Abnormalities mostly occur in the squamous cells on the lower/outer surface of the cervix and are diagnosed as cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN).  Less commonly, glandular cells which are located higher up  the cervical (birthing) canal may develop abnormalities and this is diagnosed as cervical glandular intraepithelial neoplasia (CGIN).  The following link explains a bit more:

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information/abnormal-cells/cin-and-cgin

I had a squamous cell cervical cancer diagnosed on the basis of symptoms.  I can't really be of much more help because I don't have any experience of being diagnosed with CGIN which, from what your nurse is saying, is possibly what you might be looking at.

Hope all goes well for you.

x

Thank you. This information is really helpful. I should have asked at the time but you just want to go in and out don't you! Hopefully won't be too long until I get the results then I'll know for sure.

I hope you're know well after your diagnosis and operation x