Hi Everyone. Your experiences with LVSI

Hi Everyone,
I am new here. I am 35. All normal smears until the most recent in November. Had LLETZ for CIN 3 cells and the got the call to come in …

I have had MRI and PET and I am thankful it appears stage 1. There is however positive LVSI which I cannot help but dwell upon.

I have my first consultant appointment next week and my nurse has said I will be offered surgery.

I worry if surgery is enough or the best option for LSVI. My nurse did seem quite dismissive of my concern however this was over the phone.

To make sure I am armed with the right info and questions, I would be so grateful of your experiences with LSVI.

Thank you x

Hello! Let me tell a little about my experience! As I could not get enough info on my end so I know how you feel! Back in January 2020 I had a biopsy CIN 3 was found and they decided to do a LEEP and assured me all would be gone! Went back after my 6 month follow up, and they found cancerous cells with LVSI. I went for a PET scan & MRI in November and the result of 1b1 and was recommended I had a hysterectomy. Got it done in January and tumor was removed, I still showed for positive LVSI, last week got a ovary transition surgery so I wont go into menopause at a young age because now I have to do 6 weeks of radiation and that will damage my ovaries. So we shall see, im keeping positive it will all go away! Its been a hell of a journey already but im almost at the finish line! I wish you the best of Luck!!

1 Like

Hi No1

My initial diagnosis was squamous cell stage 1B2 (in new Figo terms) node negative (no mention of LVSI etc at this point); my surgeon said he was 90% confident of a surgical cure and I was robustly advised to have a radical hysterectomy. I was concerned about the 90% stat but decided to go along with the advice of my medical team and consented to the op - I didn’t have much opportunity to ask questions because I was told on a Friday and the op was on the following Monday! My situation was different to yours in that there was only about 3 weeks between offically being told I had cervical cancer and being given a date for a hysterectomy so my mind was in a turmoil.

My post op histology results revealed LVSI, PNI (peri-neural invasion) plus a close anterior margin and I was restaged to 2A1. As a result I was advised I had a significant chance for recurrence and needed chemo-radiotherapy which I had. I decided not to question the advice to have chemo-radiotherapy because my medical team seemed sure it was required and I didn’t feel I was up to thinking out pros and cons.

It can be pretty agonising when consenting to treatment especially when there are factors such as LVSI involved. In my case it was the size of my tumour that gave some concern from the outset - it measured 3.8cm which is just 2mm shy of the 4cm cut off point for being operable. As I say, rightly or wrongly, I decided to go along with the recommendations from my medical team.

I guess one question you might want to ask is what are the chances that LVSI can lead to a recurrence if you have the surgery, or that your post op results will indicate futher treatment with chemo-radiotherapy.

x