Had HPV vaccine at age 13 & 16, but have CIN2?

I’m 24, went for my first cervical screening test 6 weeks ago assuming everything would be fine… I had a HPV vaccination at school when I was 13 and the second at college when 16, I suffer from anxiety and my biggest fear was actually making it into the appointment!

I went alone, i had to stop myself from bursting into tears before I even looked at the nurse but everything went better than I had expected. - Looking back now the nurse didn’t explain any possible results with me but at the time I was just relieved I’d done it!

Within a week I’d received a letter for a colposcopy appointment at the hospital, no idea what it was and dependent on google for answers, 2 days after I received a letter from the NHS England stating I had high grade (severe) dyskaryosis another 2 days a letter from my GP surgery and a call from the nurse… So within 10 days of my smear test I received 3 letters and a call from the practice nurse and was still none the wiser.

Ive had my colposcopy where a biopsy was taken, the consultant rang me a week later (last Tuesday) to say I have CIN2 and I would need further treatment and need to wait for an appointment letter- I don’t have a date yet.

All in all I’m confused. Does CIN2 mean I have HPV? I’ve had both doses of the vaccination, I’ve never even tried a cigarette (I’ve been told smoking can play a part), I lost my virginity at 17, had 4 sexual partners (I’ve been with my current partner for 4 years) and I’m completely overwhelmed with it all… I don’t even know if I should be worried or not!?

Hi Pickles91

I had an abnormal smear last September (low grade changes) and screened positive for HPV - this surprised me as I had the vaccine before I was sexually active. I think different localities/NHS trusts vary in whether they do HPV screening at smear tests - in my case I was told, but a previous smear test I had didn't screen for HPV. There are over 100 different strains of HPV. The HPV vaccine vaccinates you against HPV types 16 and 18 (and HPV 6 and 11 if you had the Gardasil vaccine), which are high risk HPV strains associated with approx. 70% of all cervical cancer cases. In my case, I assumed this meant that I had contracted another high-risk strain of HPV (from what I've read, there's about 15 "high risk" types of HPV)- and that this was what was picked up during my smear test. It is possible that you may have contracted another form of HPV that you were not vaccinated against, and that this has led to the CIN2. 

I hope this makes sense, and best of luck for your future treatment

Piffpuffpickle