Had colposcopy and loop treatment for pre cancerous cells, still waiting results and feel emotional

Hi,
Last week I had a colposcopy and loop treatment. A massive shock in itself as I only received letter 3 days before that to tell me about the hospital appointment. I suffer with anxiety which I think makes it worse for me but I struggled in general to cope with the fact of what I was having done, when having it done as I found it painful to start off with and after having it done. Although professionals were there at the time to keep me calm I don’t feel like I have had support for the worries about what I had done afterwards and I don’t like to burden my family. They are amazing. Most times when I am on my own I am in tears not knowing where to turn. My parent can get frustrated with me at time for what I have done. I understand their worries but this doesn’t help me come to terms with what I have had done and what the future will hold. Has anyone got any ways they cope with things like this?

Hi Hun so sorry that you are having a rough time. Things have obviously happened really quickly and that and then the wait for results is absolutely terrifying almost everyone on here would tell you the same. Do you have a practice nurse at your doctors or perhaps you could phone the colposcopy unit and ask to speak to a nurse. When things are being done to us we often forget to ask questions or just need to talk things through afterwards. You are not alone there are lots of women who have been through what is happening to you ask questions and take advice. Most important while you are waiting for your results take care and try and relax. X

Hi Cherryelm,

Thank you for your kind message.

I have rang my doctors and because they have no notes yet from the hospital I feel like they wouldn't even begin to discuss it with me. I told them things the hospital have told me to be careful of doing after the procedure and they don't understand some of the things. I trust the hospital. They looked after me at one of the worst thing I have ever had to go through. I only have an emergency number to speak to them unfortunately. I did ask if there was any helplines to call and they said no so I feel very lost in what to do. I have tried calling the helpline on here and checked opening times but it has said it has been closed in these when I have rang. I just don't know where to turn.

Thank you, I am also poorly at the moment due to a virus which isn't helping how I am feeling.

One thing I know is without my Mum and my partner and now thankfully this website I won't be alone.

My Mum and partner were there through every step of the way of the procedure and I feel so lucky to have them.

I burst into tears as soon as I received the letter but thankfully my partner was with me at the time and my Mum came shortly after.

It's been nearly 2 weeks and no results yet. Do you think I will still receive them before christmas? I feel like my life is on hold until I know what is happening.

Hi am so sorry your having a hard time of it lately...I have had 5 Lletz/loop procedures in the last 18months and the waiting for the results is the worst part!each of my results have taken 6-8 weeks to come back which can be so frustrating,I have another hospital appointment first thing to discuss my last results and what kind of treatment to do now and I am still testing positive for cin3 cells....hoping to try something else because going back and forward to the hospital for the last year and a half and waiting for results has been so stressful...I hope you get your results soon 

Hi there,

I empathize with your fear. It's incredibly hard to receive such news, especially when it comes out of no where. 

My HPV journey started about a year ago with an abnormal PAP. I had just gotten back from vacation and life was great! My since then, I feel like I live in constant fear that I'm going to receive more bad news about my health. Waiting for test results will never get easy. However, it's important for our health that we work on giving up what we don't have control over. Much easier said than done, I know! This is how I'm trying to approach my situation. Living with constant anxiety will take away from the beauty that still exists in our daily life. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of giving my control over to an HPV diagnosis.

Have you ever heard of mindfulness? I work in the mental health field and mindfulness is great for anxiety. It's about focusing on the present, not the past or the future. 

Hi there,

I empathize with your fear. It's incredibly hard to receive such news, especially when it comes out of no where. 

My HPV journey started about a year ago with an abnormal PAP. I had just gotten back from vacation and life was great! My since then, I feel like I live in constant fear that I'm going to receive more bad news about my health. Waiting for test results will never get easy. However, it's important for our health that we work on giving up what we don't have control over. Much easier said than done, I know! This is how I'm trying to approach my situation. Living with constant anxiety will take away from the beauty that still exists in our daily life. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of giving my control over to an HPV diagnosis.

Have you ever heard of mindfulness? I work in the mental health field and mindfulness is great for anxiety. It's about focusing on the present, not the past or the future.