First Copolscopy?

Hi all,

I feel a little fraudulent posting here, given that I only have an appointment for a copolscopy and no diagnosis, however I’m looking for a bit of reassurance…

I had my first smear test (delights of turning 25 and that’s the only post you get on your birthday!) and the results came back as borderline abnormal cells and HPV +ve. Obviously not what I was expecting.

I have my copolscopy appointment for Tuesday 11th October and have to say I’m really worried. I heard so many horror stories of a smear test before I went for mine, and i’m already on medication for my anxiety (which is triggered by hospitals/trauma etc). However, I was pleasantly surprised and it didn’t hurt in the slightest.

I think my biggest concern is the not knowing. No knowing whether they’ll need to remove anything there and then or whether it’ll be a little biopsy. I’m finding myself now reading into possible symptoms and getting myself in such a state.

Can someone tell me about their copolscopy? I don’t want anyone to sugar coat it but I’m a little unsure what to expect. I have told my boss that I won’t be in work the following day just as a precaution. Did anyone need more than 1 day off work?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated,

Hope-Elise x

Hello!

I hope you're doing okay and are not stressing too much. I remember how I felt leading up to mine. I couldn't get off Google for the life of me!

My colposcopy was actually okay. Lovely nurses. They sat me down we talked about my smear, then they showed me the chair with stirrups. I was showed to a small room off to the side where i was to take off my bottom things (wear a skirt if you can, makes the walk to the chair a little more dignified - not that they care). Then they hand you a sheet and tell you to put your legs up. So you're covered really well the whole time, really. They insert a speculum, just like your smear and have a look. I asked to see mine of the screen (so weird, like the Kracken with no teeth, have expected Johnny Depp to do a run in). They dab some fluids on so the affected areas light up. None of that hurts at all. They took three punch biopsies with me. Those didn't feel great but not terrible either. Then they continue dabbing to stop any bleeding and then you're free to go. I could have gone back to work the same day but felt a little crampy. I went in the next day and felt a little delicate but no uncomfortably so.

I hope yours goes okay! Best of luck x

Hi, I had my colposcopy on Wednesday. As previous response said they talked me through everything first and then I was taken to a side room to undress.  They left me with a sheet to wrap around myself so it was relatively dignified!

The nurses chatted to me constantly throughout the procedure and we're absolutely lovely. The colposcopy exam was just like having a smear. They did the lletz three and then for me. It was very unpleasant but bearable. When they put the local anaesthetic in the was like a short sharp sting, like when you get an injection in your gum at the dentist. 

Since the procedure I've felt a little tender and had some cramping but it's not been as bad as I feared. I did take some painkillers an hour before my appointment as I'd read in an information leaflet that it would make the examination less uncomfortable. 

Good luck x

Hi there

I was in your shoes last year, the colposcopy itself is no different in feeling to a smear so that was fine, I had 2 biopsies taken, I hadn't eaten that morning as I was anxious and hadn't taken any pain relief before my appointment and it's very different person to person but in honesty it really really did hurt me, saying that it only hurt as it was done and afterwards there were very mild cramps. Good luck xx

Hey! I am in the exact same position as you. I receive my letter yesterday stating I had abnormal cells and to come in for a copolscopy on 12th oct. I was completely shocked and had a little break down fearing the worst situations in my head. It doesn't help that I already have endometriosis so have been told they do not know if I can have children. It is nice to know I am not alone but until it's over and results are back I don't know how I am going to relax (I also suffer from anxiety around hospitals)!! X

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses and apologies it's taken me ages to send a reply. I was doing my best to pretend it wasn't happening.

I read through the leaflet with my other half last night so I knew exactly what to expect and my mum is coming with me in the morning. I'm such a pansy when it comes to things like this though so I've got no doubt I'll probably pass out! At least I won't remember much then.

I think my biggest fear isn't the smear part but the lletz if I need one. I haven'y pysched myself up for that part!

Did you all get results within 4 weeks of your copolscopy?

Thanks again, you've been really reassuring.

Hope x

Hi all,

Just thought I'd give you all an update and thank you again for your advice and support.

I had my copolscopy yesterday and cried pretty much through the entire chat in the beginning but the nurses couldn't have been nicer.

I felt like the speculum (?) hurt more than my smear test but they put a smaller one in as I said it was quite painful. They said that was fairly normal as they have to get a good look. I had a brief look at the screen (couldn't help myself!) whilst they were putting the solution on and then just closed my eyes and tried to zone out.

I had 2 biopsies taken, and you're right, they weren't pleasant. They made me cough really hard (did they do this to you?) to take my mind off it, and to be honest it did kind of work. I still felt them doing it but it felt more like pressure than it did actual pain, if that makes any sense.

They said they looked like mild changes so I'm not too worried about the wait for results now as i'm expecting CIN1 or 2. They said for 2/3 they would call me in for a chat but wouldn't 'over treat' me due to my family situation (no children yet). I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it :)

Thanks again for your support and help, it was hugely appreciated.

Hope x

Hi Hope

Glad to hear everything went well. You are not alone as I cried during my chat and actually after the procedure. They asked if I was crying with relief but to be honest I wasn't sure I think it was all mixed emotions. 

When I got there the consultant told me i have high grade changes  the abnormalities were severe which was a big shock and set my emotions off. I was told they had to remove the cells straight away so had lletz on Wednesday as well. Now the horrid waiting game like you but I am feeling quite anxious about mine x

Hi Shireen,

Sorry I didn't get a notification of your reply. I'm sorry that you're also playing the waiting game and had some severe changes. It really isn't a nice experience to go through and I wasn't sure whether I was crying with relief or worry if i'm honest.

Please let us know how you get on with your results.

Fingers crossed for you x