First CIN3, urgent LLETZ

Hi,

first of all, I just wanted to say thank you for the wonderful support everyone is providing on here. Reading your experiences here has helped me through the hard times with my abnormal smears. 

I'm 28, no children, and had a change in my periods for about a year now, which have been attributed to my pill, but I thought they were not normal for me as I was on the pill for a number of years. I had this nagging gut feeling that something was wrong. I went to get a coil fitted (unsuccessful 2x due to horrendous pain) and had a smear done as it was due. I had absolutely no symptoms, no bleeding, no pain during sex except for the change in my period. 

I didn't think much of the smear until the letter came, stating I have severe dyskaryosis and with that letter, I received a letter asking me to come for colposcopy 2 weeks after the results. Immediately I freaked out that it is something bad. 

Colposcopy was fine, they noted some changes, biopsies were collected (that was very uncomfortable) and the very nice nurse (I cannot thank the team looking after me enough for being absolute stars while I was having a meltdown in there) told me that due to my anxiety and low pain threshold she suggests general anaesthetic if LLETZ was needed, So again, I relaxed a bit while waiting for my results, thinking surely they will be CIN 1 or 2 at the worst as I have no symptoms and I might not need the LLETZ.  My results came in shortly after and they graded it as possible CIN2, with a possibility of conservative management due to my age, but first I had to be discussed at an MDT. Again I freaked. Then the results were in, I have been graded as CIN 2/3, my LLETZ app will be in the next 4 weeks. Due to corona, I cannot be put under a general anaesthetic, and I am really worried about the procedure. For some bizarre reason, I can feel everything that is being done to my cervix and I'm terrified that LLETZ will hurt. 

So I wanted to ask you about how to relax during the procedure and how to keep myself from spiraling and thinking the worst.

Thank you in advance :)

Hi lime,

Please try not to worry too much....I know it’s hard but it sounds like you have a great team looking after you ....that is so important.

I unfortunately had to have 2 Lletz procedures the second was yesterday. It’s not a great experience I won’t lie, but you are given a local anaesthetic in your cervix which numbs it.

Period like pains for a few days afterwards, some discharge and light bleeding....all manageable. Rest, pain killers like Ibuprofen and being kind to yourself is a must.

I hope this helps

Take Care x

A nurse will be beside you all the time reassuring you...I have had conversations about dogs, food, Trump( yes really)....etc etc....this really helped....even had a laugh....???

Hi limecoffeecake

Just a quick one but my LLETZ under GA was cancelled due to covid and because I didnt think I could go through with it, but really needed it doing, I was recommended by the colpoacopy team to ask my GP for a sedative to calm me during my procedure. I had 2mg lorazepam and it was a god send. My GP was very understanding and I will ask for this if/when I have to have invasive procedures again. All the best xxx

Hi lime!

Your situation sounds extremely similar to mine. Had my smear, then letter with severe dyskaryosis and colposcopy 2 weeks later. Only difference being they didn't bother doing biopsies (which I now wish they had) and said they wanted me to have urgent surgery. They said due to the size of the area they wanted to do it under general and it was booked for 5 weeks later on 21st Dec.

6 days before it got cancelled due to covid but they said they wanted to try and do it awake which was booked for 23rd Dec.

To be honest I was more scared of the general anaesthetic so was really hoping it could be done whilst awake and now I'm SO glad it was possible.

If you scroll through the Colposcopy forum you can find my post with the heading - positive LLETZ experience - awake.

I would not have wanted the side effects of having general anaesthetic on top.

I didn't even feel them take my coil out (even though it was very painful having it put in) and that's before they even did the local injection! 
Then it was a dull pain for the injection, no more than 10 seconds of pain. A dentist injection in your mouth is WAY worse if you've had one to compare! 
Wishing you lots of luck. I'm still waiting for my results as I type but I'm 2 weeks post-LLETZ. Xx

Thank you so much for your replies, you have been a massive help :)

Wishing you all the best!!