Feelings after end of treatment

Hi all,

I have just finished my treatment and I feel so overwhelmed. I know I should feel happy and relieved but I just feel like I don't know what to think or how to get over the whole experience. I am terrified of all the follow up scans and what the future holds. I don't really know how to deal with everything mentally. Did anyone else feel like this? Has anyone got any advice? 
I'm also worried about dealing with an imminent menopause. 

Thanks all

Becky 

I completely relate, after treatment I wanted to be happy and I was that I finally was done with treatment. But I had this anxious feeling that I couldn't shake, I think after treatment is over we actually have the time to think about what just happened and all the things we had to do and go through. It takes time, but it does get easier. it's definitely a lot to take in,just be kind to yourself and try to rest. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

Hi Becky 

I'm sorry I dont have much to offer as I'm at the start of my treatment journey. But I wanted to say, I have followed your threads on the forum and have really appreciated you sharing your story.

You've been through so much in the last few months, anybody would feel shell shocked. The different stagings you were initially given, only to end up back at the original staging, it's totally understandable to me that you would feel uncertainty and dread of going through anything similar again. 

I'm sorry I dont have any wise words. I just wanted to say I can understand why you would feel this way and imagine many of us have and will. Be kind and gentle to yourself, as with all things I believe it will get easier in time x

I think its perfectly normal to feel like that. These feelings will subside soon. With regards the menopause,  my advice would be to take it as it comes - you may feel no effects whatsoever- I only hot hot flushes which were easy enough to deal with. Maybe research into foods which help towards the menopause. I did but unfortunately can't remember what they were.

I felt so overwhelmed, like I got hit by a freight train. I felt so lost, lonely, scared, anxious, sad and confused all at the same time. My life was taken over and in just 10 short weeks I was diagnosed, prodded, scanned, treated and set free again. It still feels unreal and I am.dealing with ptss as a result of all of this but I have to say I am in much better place then 6 months ago.

You will get there ❤

Hi

It seems to me you are putting pressure on yourself when you say you should feel happy and relieved.  Some people might feel that but it's equally valid if you don't (I didn't),  we're all a bit different, we have different treatment experiences and different outcomes.  It's early days and you've only just come through treatment and now is the beginning of the recovery, mentally and physically, from the trauma of the treatment.  I was still mentally processing my diagnosis for many months afterwards, let alone dealing with my long term side effects (physical and mental) of treatment.   I've kept a diary throughout, some jottings now and then about my fears and feelings etc and I think it helped me to make sense of things a bit better.

Thank you all, as always you are all such a help to me and I appreciate you taking the time to get back to me with your wise words. 

Feeling the Fear - I was so touched by your message. I wish you all the best with your treatment. You have got this. You will come out the other side and I hope we will be all be stronger for it some day. Good luck and feel free to ask me if you have any questions xxx

Good morning Becky,

Since my post there have been some really great contributions from members who have a lot more experience than I do. I think Jazza hit the nail on the head with you are putting pressure on yourself to feel a certain way, you dont need the burden of that expectation.

Its VE day next week. My grandad used to say, when the men came back from war to the delight of their wives and the bunting and the parades and the street parties, they found it incredulous. But the people at home would never know the price these men had paid. Never any glory in war, he used to say.

From where I am standing now, you have achieved something extraordinary. You have endured minutes, hours, or days where your thoughts and body have taken you to places you never thought you would go. I am in awe of you and every one of us on this forum who has faced into her treatment journey and done what needed to be done. You have dug deep, to places you couldn't have known were inside you. Of course it takes time for the flowers to grow back over the field. 

xXx

WowFeeling the Fear - What’s touching and try post. Gave me goosebumps.

Becky - it’s a very common reaction tohave as having a cancer diagnosis is a huge shock to the body that you never really get to process  because you are off on a hurtling train of scans and treatment.

Its only really after treatment that you can process everything. I also found it hard to be on my own withit all and responsible for my own health again without all the medics running the show.Its safe with them watching out for you and sorting out treatment. It’s much harder afterwards to be responsible and to know what’s normal and what’s not.

I reached out to Jo’s and local charities,which had been set up to support people wherever they were on their journey. Time and time again people would tell me they felt the same.

Look after and be gentle with yourself. You have fought a good fight. Now is the time to nurture yourself in whatever way is right for you. Xx