Feeling deflated

At the time of my diagnosis I was advised a 4-6 week wait for a radical hysterectomy depending on the scans and MDT, I was advised the day after the MDT that my scans were fine and given a provisional surgery date which should’ve been yesterday, just outside of the 6 weeks. This was then pushed back to 1st March with a view to getting me in sooner, which in the end couldn’t happen. I finally received a firm date for my surgery a few days ago and tonight they’ve announced a 48 hr strike starting the morning of my surgery, so looking like that’s getting cancelled too. Don’t know why I’m here really, nothing I can do about it, just sick of feeling like I’m forever waiting or not being fully informed

@alwaystheweekend I’m so sorry your in this situation, I am also booked in for a radical hysterectomy on the 1st of March, I spoke to the hospital this morning and it all seems to be going ahead, my situation is slightly different but if you are concerned please contact your cns nurse for reassurance, they are also brilliant at finding answers and information for you because I have felt like you many times before and they always do their best to help xx

@Gizzy

Glad to hear yours is going ahead. I’ve been told similar, although it’ll be a bit “wait and see who’s going to strike”. I have my pre-op tomorrow so will ask again then.

How are you feeling about your op?

@alwaystheweekend i had my pre op last week, I’m ok about it to be honest, my story is a little different in that I’m having it because I have a minuscule amount of residual after chemo/ radiation so there may be a few challenges but ultimately the surgery is what I want, I tend to focus on the time after I have the operation!
How are you feeling about it all?
My surgeon is lovely, I’m just not looking forward to being unable to pick my 3yr old up!
I have taught myself to knit and I have lots of books lined up ready! X

1 Like

@Gizzy It sounds positive that they are considering what you would like, I think that’s how I would feel under those circumstances.

I’m anxious as it’s such a big op, I did have an emergency section with my 5yr old and lost a lot of blood, but just want it over with. I’m also on a 2 week referral for some mouth symptoms, that’s probably causing me the most worry at the moment. I’ve only spoken to my surgeon over the phone once, I suppose I’m meeting him on the op day.

I also knit and find it very relaxing, just need to spend more time doing it rather than on Google

@alwaystheweekend definitely stay off Google!!
It is a big op but i tend to look at it as a hurdle that I want to get over, having done chemo/radiation I know I have to do this to, i don’t know if you read my story but they did discover I have a rare type of kidney cancer to, really helpfully they have me booked for another (although much smaller) operation the week after this one, my team are happy for me to go ahead if I want to, so if they believe I can do it I will!
You may well get to meet your surgeon after the pre op, they do that in some hospitals.
Sorry you have other worries, that’s the problem when you start having all these scans but try and find comfort in the fact they are looking into it, they will look into everything!
So far I have managed a couple of scarves! Am looking forward to seeing what else I can make as I clearly won’t be doing anything wild for a while!
Am happy to chat if you want to Pm me xx

That’s such a lot to go through, but as you say, they believe you can do it! I guess we don’t have much choice but to brave it all, nobody can do it for us.

I’ll pop you a pm x

1 Like