Doctor has seriously worried me

I went for a pelvic exam and pap smear yesterday. It's been probably 6+ years since I had a pap - I feel very stupid and guilty about it, too. During the internal exam, my doctor said " your cervix is irritated " and made a point to say this was concerning to her. She then said we will decide what to do - more testing - once results are back in a week. Which really led me to believe she anticipates my results will be abnormal. I'm feeling rather scared and vulnerable right now. And I know I shouldn't, but I've been on google basically working myself into a panic. I deeply regret waiting so long to have this pap smear now. :(

Hi!!

Try not to panic (or google!). I had cells removed at age 21. After that until now I’ve had low grade abornmal cells for the past 4 years. These cells have not been treated yet as they are not believed to be a danger at this point and can revert themselves at low grade.

My point being that this has been 4 years with no changes. My consultant explained to me that it can take up to 10 years before anything would turn to cancer. 

Just trying to reassure you that at least you’ve gone after 6 years and not waited any longer. I hope everything is ok with your results! I know the worry well. X

Hello and welcome!

I'm in basically the same situation, as my nurse said my cervix looked raw and asked me if I'd ever had treatment on it, plus I bled which never happened in my last smear test. That was six weeks ago and I'm yet to have my results so I'm afraid I can't offer much advice but do try to stay as calm as you can, easier said than done I know! 

I waited 5 years, it can make you feel like you've done yourself wrong but the main thing is you went, and whatever the results it is better than not having gone at all, so try not to beat yourself up too much.

Let us know how you get on and avoid Googling!

C x 

Ceecee thank you for the reply. I'm sorry to read you're in a similar situation as me. Did you have any concerning symptoms before you went for your pap?

I've been very bad about beating myself up for not going, but you're right in that I've gone now and need to focus on that. Please keep me posted as to how you are and any news.

I really hope you have your results soon, so you have answers.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'll try to find some comfort in it.

Thank you so much, I promise I'll let you know what happens .

I never had any obvious symptoms at all, no. I've had the contraceptive implant for two years which has affected my periods no end so it has been difficult to say what is normal any more, I swing between heavy periods with extreme breast pain to normal periods, but usually everything is "on time" give or take and I've never had spotting or bleeding between. The only thing I've had is occasion cramping which doesn't last long.

How about you? Is there anything that has seemed different or off? I think sometimes, especially if you're worrying, it is easy to reverse-engineer symptoms and signs! Or at least that's what I do, like I've recently thought maybe I have been experiencing leg pains, but I'm currently revising for exams so I'm sat about of my butt a lot reading and everything is cramping up a bit laughing

Try not to let what your doc said get to you too much, it's definitely good that it's being taken seriously but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad outcome. Are you on any contraceptive at all? I know it can sometimes affect the cervix at times. 

Let me knowwhen you hear!

Cx