Discharge after radiotherapy! I'm worried, reassurance needed

Hi everyone, this is Kayla here. In November 2021, my mum was diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 3 (adenocarcinoma) with 2.8 tumour and lymph nodes involvement. She finished 4 sessions of carboplatin and paclitaxel in November and MRI shows that the tumour has shrunk. Just around two weeks ago, she completed 25 sessions of external radiotherapy and next week she will have her first brachytherapy. We live in a country where all the treatments have to be done separately⁠—unlike in developed states where it seems like chemoradiation and brachytherapy arenormally completed within two months time.

I am so worried because while waiting for her brachytherapy next week, last night she noticed some discharge (it looks like spotting, a bit brownish and mucus like) and I can’t stop thinking about it hence why I posted this. I asked for an advice to the radiologist and he simply suggested her to take Tranexamic acid. Please everyone I’m worried sick I cannot do anything. I really need some reassurance, is there any of you ladies experiencing spotting/discharge after external radiotherapy?

Thank you for your kind attention and thank you for listening. Sending prayers and love your way. Kayla xx

Hi Kayla,

I also have a discharge going on after chemorads. I’m 7 weeks post treatment. In terms of color, I think it’s not concerning as long as it’s not foul smelling and red continuous bleeding. I’ve brought this to my oncologist and nurses’ attention and they all said that it’s normal side effect of radiation. Especially if they were also targeting the vagina for advanced cancers which it might’ve spread there. Of course I can’t blame you for worrying as I also do. I’m just trying to be more rational and will wait till my scan next month to see how everything is. I just had my internal exam follow up 20 days ago, it was uncomfortable and I bled a little and it caused my discharge to have a pinkish tinge like blood for a week and they also said this was normal as everything in there is still raw and sensitive and some blood vessels are prompt to bleed easily.
Sending you Much love.xx

1 Like

Just to add my radiologist oncologist even mentioned that some discharge yellow to brownish tint can happen as the tumour breaking down. But of course you should observe if there’s pain and odor to it that might flag up infection. I’m no medical expert but just sharing what my team has told me so far hoping it will give you some reassurance. But it’s good that you told your team about this. Xx

1 Like

Dear May,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You have no idea how worried sick I was and how your reassurances have calmed me down. Yes true, after browsing and reading, I figured others experiences saying that there might be ‘discharge’ or ‘mucus’ due to the tumour breaking down after radiotherapy. Some also said that pelvic radiotherapy could indeed cause pain or bleeding and that should be normal. Hhhhh now I can breathe again. I’m sorry for venting like this though, sometimes I just can’t control it.

I will try to be more rational and focus on my mum finishing her treatments instead. Thank you again May for responding to my post, I hope that the treatments work effectively to kill all the cancer. Keeping my fingers crossed for your next scan. You will beat this. Sending you much love and positivity too! x

1 Like

Dear Kayla,

I’m so glad May was able to share a similar experience - and where her team have talked to her about these things. You were not venting - you were expressing a natural concern and worry. I would have been panicking if this has happened too! I have heard of discharge as the tumour is breaking down, and all I know is that it’s normal for the tumour to still be there before brachytherapy (although much diminished) and to still be actively being destroyed up to a few months afterwards. What is important is that each of us is heard by our care team, and gets the advice and help that we need. I hope your mum and May get the positive result of NED that we all dream of. Xx

2 Likes

Dear Jacks,

Thank you so much for your kind words and reassurance. You are continuously supporting and helping many of us who are currently fighting this. I remember you were also there during my first post August, prior to my mum’s diagnosis. This forum is like safe haven for me despite the fact that I’m not in the UK/EU.

We are beyond grateful for your presence in this forum Jacks. Sending big hugs, love, and positivity! x

1 Like