Diagnosed Last Week :(

My name is Kelly - I have four grown kids (youngest just turned 19). I just turned 54 in the middle of my diagnosis.
In 2016, I had a D&C because I had a uterine polyp on the left that was irritating my cervix and causing cramping. I was all done with my periods as I had chemo back in 2010 for breast cancer and that kinda did the ovaries in.
So the polyp came back benign, all uterine lining just fine. No further symptoms.
Well back in January of this year, I started having those same symptoms- some clear discharge and cramping.
Let me just say that this entire diagnosis process is nothing less than excruciating! I was put in with the midwife who did the pap and ordered an ultrasound. Pap was clear and ultrasound showed a fibroid near the cervix irritating it. Since by now the pain was really pretty awful, they opted for a MRI. The MRI showed a mass with a visible lymph node nearby. :frowning:
This time saw the regular GYN who did a biopsy.

Waiting while in pain has been difficult but ibuprophen seems to handle the pain mostly enough. I feel it in my left groin, sometimes in the front, through the vagina and sometimes in my back or leg.

I went for a PT scan yesterday and Monday I meet with radiology and find the results out. My first chemo is May 2.

As of March on the MRI, the mass was 3.4cm which the doctor says is small but since a lymph node lit up on the MRI and it seems to also be pushing outside the wall, it puts it at a higher stage. His preliminary staging from the MRI was 2B but he said the PT would be better for staging.

I am still reeling in my head. I’m the primary bread winner as my husband has had diabetes since covid and is still unable to work.
I feel overwhelmed and angry that I need to go through chemo again after having breast cancer in 2010.
Originally I wasn’t having much discharge but ever since the biopsy from hell, it has been tons of clear liquid and some blood. I was bleeding quite a bit for a week afterwards.

I feel that I have a really good hospital network of gyn oncologists but they are telling me that they can’t do surgery on it - instead doing six weeks of radiation and chemo concurrently. He said because of the location of it - since it has broken out of the cervix tissue, that it would do more damage to do the surgery that near the bladder.
This scares me. I just want it out and gone! People keep asking me when Im having surgery and I have to explain that because of the location of being “out” of the cervix it isn’t an option and they just argue that I need a second opinion. It literally took from January to now to get to where I am in this process as the medical system is a mess of delays. I have a good amount of confidence in my onc - 25 years practicing, part of a larger team who reviewed all my results etc. But this is just freaking hard. I was so happy when a nurse navigator called from the oncology center and introduced herself the other day and said she would be helping me with this whole process and anytime I needed help I could call her. She was able to push up my PT scan to this past week instead of the end of the month, thankfully.

The anxiety in this has been through the roof. There are so many layers to try to process and its a tremendous sense of loss.

2 Likes

Hi Painttheclouds and welcome

Sorry you are feeling so anxious. Leading up to the start of treatment can be one of the worst times for our emotions.

I’m not an expert but it’s my understanding that 2A is the highest stage of cc that may be suitable for a surgical cure. There are lots of ‘2B’ ladies on this forum and I’m pretty sure they’ve all had chemo-radio treatment - you can find them by searching on ‘stage 2B’.

Just thought I’d share a bit of my story to hopefully give some perspective to your situation.

Following MRI, PET scan and lymphadenecotmy I was staged as 1B1 (new Figo 1B2) and my surgeon said he was 90% sure that a radical hysterectomy would cure me. However post RH histology revealed I was stage 2A1 plus I had lympho-vascular space invasion and peri-neural invasion and I was strongly advised to have chemo-radio which I did.

Initially i was so relieved to be told a RH was the way forward, only to be crushed by the subsequent news about needing chemo-radio. Having both a RH plus chemo-radio left me with, as the nurse put it, co-morbidities i.e. side effects from both treatments. It seems my RH involved working very close to my bladder and, very unluckily, I ended up with total urinary retention due to nerve damage and needed to self catheterise for a very long time afterwards, not to mention multiple UTIs.

Ironically it’s possible I’d have been better off had my staging been a bit higher whereupon I’d gone directly to chemo-radio.

x

3 Likes

Hi Kelly, I’m Ceri & 52. I was only told last Friday that I have CC. They told me they didn’t like the look of it as soon as they started doing my biopsy, which is really worrying me. I had a clear smear in Oct22.

A consultant was called in & they did an internal exam & said the whole of my cervix is affected. Crazy that I know all that even before biopsy results.
Had an MRI on Sunday & my next appt is 28th June. No idea how I ended up here this quickly.

I just wanted to reply as I can see how stressful it must all be for you. I feel the same. The day I found out, my eldest son had just done his last A level exam. He was looking forward to finally unwinding & instead was thrown into this hell.

We may be at slightly different stages, but similar stage in life & age.
I hope things go as well as they possibly can for you. Be glad to keep in touch.