Colposcopy referral (children mentioned)

Hi all,

I had my first smear 07/02 since having my son and received my results via letter 16/02. My smear showed high grade severe abnormal cells and informed me I'd be referred for a colposcopy, I'm waiting for the appointment to come through at the moment. i guess my first question is how long did it take between smear results and colposcopy appointment for most? Also since getting my results on Saturday I've felt really emotional, I've always considered myself quite an emotionally strong person but I feel like I've been in a total state of panic since getting these results, it's just absolutely hit me like a brick! I'm managing to get on with my day to day life, working, looking after my son etc... but it just keeps creeping up on me when I least expect it or I stop for a minute and I can only describe it as a unshakable sense of absolute fear. Has anyone else ever responded to their results like this? Is my brain just over dramatising it? I'm really worried about what they might find and how this is going to effect my life for the next year or so, I also want to eventually have more children but I can't stop thinking about the what ifs! 

Hello. 

I was in the exact same boat as you just a few weeks ago. My smear also came back severely abnormal 12 weeks after I had my son. (I keep hearing about people having abnormal smears after childbirth but apparently there isn't a link..)

Anyway I had my smear 10th Jan, letter 19th Jan and then colposcopy just 5 days later 24th Jan where they confirmed CIN3 and I had a lletz procedure. 

I reacted the same way when I got my smear results. I was a mess all weekend and couldn't look at my children without tearing up. It' such a scary time not knowing what to expect but they will be able to tell you more at colposcopy and treat any problems before they get any worse. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat more  :)

Karly 

I was the same when I got my letter saying I had high grade/severe abnormal cells. It was so unexpected and I was exactly as you have described above. The letter said I had to call the hospital to make an appointment, I called that day and got an appointment for just over 2 weeks. I then realised my period was due the day before and so I called back and rearranged. It was a little over 3 weeks from receiving my letter when I had the Colposcopy (I also had the lletz procedure at my appointment) For that 3 weeks I couldn’t sleep properly and was having nightmares. But strangely a few days before the appointment I kind of accepted it (I think reading this forum and other people’s experiences helped) don’t get me wrong the day of the appointment I was terrified. But it went a lot better than expected. The hospital staff were so lovely and I felt no pain and only mild discomfort a couple of times but nothing I would say was really bad.  I was in and out within 20/30 mins including the chat to the doctor beforehand. I was so worried I would panic or get upset but they kept me really calm and told me I could tell them to stop at any point. It made me feel more in control. I think everyone deals with stuff differently and there is nothing wrong with with being emotional. It doesn’t matter how many times people told me not to worry it doesn’t stop you thinking about it and worrying.Message me if you need to chat X