Colposcopy for erosion? 2 week referral

Please help. I went to the doctor 2 days ago with a tiny amount of post coital bleeding. The doctor had a look and said she could see cervical erosion and pink discharge around my copper iud. Which was probably causing the post coital bleeding. I had my smear test done just over a year OK. And everything was normal. I'm utterly freaking out as she has put me on the 2 week cancer wait and I'm devastated. So I'm going to see a private consultant tomorrow. I have two small girls and I don't want to leave them!

Hi,

im going through exactly the same as you, i visited GP in nov with post coital bleeding, random spotting and heavy discharge, he examined me and mentioned inflammation/possible erosion and referred me on the 2 week wait to colposcopy. Due to a few mix ups with hospital and GP getting my details wrong on the referral form i wasnt seen until the end of feb, where i had a biopsy taken and my smear done. The hospital consultant didnt seem at all worried when i was examined, she said she may offer me treatment but she might just discharge me when the results come through and she'll write to let me know in about a month (that was 3 and a half weeks ago)

I was like you, really freaking out over it but my doctor said if theres symptoms of CC (bleedibg after sex etc) and the cervix looks abnormal (inflammation or whatever) they refer you urgently as a precaution, not necessarily because they think its something bad!

hope you dont mind me asking but how long have you had the copper coil? mine was put in the end of July and i started having these problems in october.

i hope you're ok, try not to worry (i know its easier said than done!), be glad that whatevers wrong theyre seeing you quickly to get you sorted, and if you had a clear smer last year the chance of it being anything worse is absolutely tiny!! Good luck for the appointment tomorrow, let us know how it goes

xx

Hi there. I had a cervical erosion, previous normal smear and was referred to colposcopy for a cautery. I waited 2-3 weeks for my appt, but was never told I'd be referred urgently. For the doc to diagnose an erosion and then say you are being referred urgently is odd. Did he say he suspects cancer? Erosions are harmless, obviously the colposcopist will be able to diagnose this for sure and will more than likely take a biopsy, before offering treatment. The fact you've had a recent clear smear is very reassuring!x