Looking for advise after referral

Hi Everyone

I hope you lovely ladies are all well and this isn’t too long. I’m 41 and back when i was 19 I had some bleeding after sex, attended colposcopy, had HPV, monitored for maybe a year then had some treatment and have had no issues with smear test since - last smear was march 22 and all ok.

Moving on to this year. I have the coil and have a 10 year copper coil fitted, it’s been in for 6 years and I’ve not had any issues with it, it’s been my method since the birth of my child 20 years ago. I had my period in June and July ok, but suddenly started bleeding 2 weeks after my period in July and have bled/ spotted everyday since. I thought it was my age and phoned doctor. I did have this once last dec, my period after 2 weeks but put it down to age again and was total one off until now.

Up until now I have had increased discharge ( yellow more noticeable if I wear white underwear but seems normal) damp underwear that I put down to maybe a wee bit of incontinence, as I do feel a bit caught short nowadays -but since Aug 1st I had what I thought was normal period ( it came 2 weeks early) then spotting, then one day of fresh red blood which my period never is ( honestly usually dark brown) and now been spotting with brown pink discharge that can smell foul.

Doctor today spent ages examining me, said
there was something on my cervix causing bleeding and she needed a second opinion. She said “how can I describe it” but was so nice. She Said she would refer me to colposcopy. I received a letter for an appointment with gynaecology 1 week later and app is in another 2 weeks. It’s a one stop clinic and mentions I could have a Vaginal Scan, Hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy and blood tests

Is this different from colposcopy or is this colposcopy ( I’m really not clued up sorry) never heard of a one stop clinic before. I’m really confused and worried and never really pressed the doctor as I just assumed I may have had an erosion. I’m worried all this has came from a visual exam. Should I be worried?

Thanks if anyone takes the time to read this and replies.

Hi Makky82 and welcome

A colposcopy is a test to take a closer look at your cervix and is usually done at a Colposcopy Clinic. Your appointment is different; maybe a colposcopy appointment is on the way?

2017 I had symptoms leading up to my cervical cancer diagnosis: watery yellow discharge which later on became a pinky brown colour plus abnormal (post-menopausal) bleeding. Swabs indicated no infection and an ultrasound pelvic scan didn’t show anything abnormal other than a borderline thickened womb. I was given a 2ww urgent referral for a gynae appointment which included an attempted speculum exam of my cervix (not possible as I couldn’t tolerate it) followed by a hysteroscopy which was when I was informed there were visible abnormalities on my cervix. Biopsies of my cervix confirmed I had cervical cancer.

Should you be worried? Easy to say but try and take things as they come; also seriously try not to google becuase it’s unlikely to help and will likely just cause more anxiety. I’m wondering what is causing your foul smelling discharge: it can be a symptom of cervical cancer (although mine didn’t have much of a smell) but infection, for example, can also cause a smelly discharge - have you had any swabs done?

x

Hi Jazza

Thank you so much for your reply. I had swabs taken at the doctors when she examined me on 4th sep. she said she would call me with anything, told me if if I didn’t hear anything that all was ok.

That will be 2 weeks on Monday so I was planning to call on Monday just to chase up and clarify the swab results.

I really appreciate you getting back to me and I’m trying to to worry. If was the one stop clinic that did throw me a bit, as I expected colposcopy.

I’m Scotland but I’m sure I’m still on urgent refer all as from doctors to app it’s just about 4 weeks. Doctor did say my app would be within 4 weeks max

I’m remaining positive until my appointment and trying to stay away from google. X

It’s as well to keep tabs on appointments and results because admin errors do happen. Good idea to check on the swab results and maybe clarify about the proposed Colposcopy Clinic appointment as well.

x

How are things with you now? X

I’m OK, thanks for asking. No evidence of disease (NED) as of the last of my 5 year post treatment follow up appintments, over a year ago. Had a few scares along the way but luckily all false alarms. I had a lot of treatment and was a bit unlucky with side effects, but OK once I learnt how to deal with them.

x