Colposcopy at 24 years old

I'm 24 and had my first smear test 4 weeks ago. My results came back as positive for HPV with High Grade Dyskaryosis. 

Went for my Colposcopy today, they confirmed the presence of Precancerous cells and suspected them to be a CIN 2/3. Gynae decided to do a LLETZ there and then. 

This was a shock but more so because I had my full HPV vaccine at 14 (before I was sexually active). 

Are there any other ladies my age on here who have had their HPV vaccine and had the same results from there first smear?

I know of other women who have been in this situation but they are all 30+ and I feel as though I am in the minority.

Hey , I had the same on my first smear. Was detected for HPV and Abnormal cells. following my colposcopy and biopsy they advised it was CIN2 and I went back in for LLETZ to have it removed. It is very daunting but all the staff were lovely and now I am awaiting my next smear in 6 months time to check all clear. I was in same postion where all my friends were having their firest smears and getting all clear and it seemed like it was only me who had problems with it. I think we are maybe the minority but none the less goes to show how lucky we are to have this process and have it detected so early on:) 

Hi Louise, thank you for responding to my post and sharing your experience :) It makes things a little less scary when someone else has gone though the same thing.

I was fortunate enough to be able to have a LLETZ at my Colposcopy appointment, so I'm just waiting for my results. 

(I forgot to put this in my post and have just amended it)

I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you have the HPV vaccine? 

Hello both - having been through lletz myself last year I have since discovered a lot more about the whole process; if you read Jo's web information sections there is a more in depth explanation of hpv & the vaccines. There are many strains of hpv & the vaccine you had only protects against some of them. I think the more recent vaccine protects against more. So the message for your generation is to keep attending your smear tests.  It is so important to raise awareness. I discovered that my own daughter who is in her 20s had been putting off her smear test & she went & got it done after my experience & fortunately came back all clear. She told me 2 of her friends had had a lletz too. I hope you 2 ladies are feeling ok. I can recommend Jo's helpline for further support and help too.

I'm 25 and had the vaccine but in the same boat as you! My smear showed HPV and CIn1 and I'm going for my one year follow up colposcopy in a week or two! I've defo felt very alone as well, because it seems like a lot of people my age haven't had bad results or haven't even gone for a smear yet! 

Hi, I had the vacination for hpv when I was 14 before I was sexually active. I had my first smear 6 months ago which came back positive for hpv but that's it. Over the last couple of months I've had a lot of irregular bleeding and have just been for my colposcopy today have said they can see I have changed on my cervix and did some biopsy's. Again I am also worried 

Hello

Same boat here!

I had my HPV vaccine around the same age, before I was sexually active. I'm 24 - I had my first smear at the beginning of this year as I had some irregular bleeding. They found HPV and referred me for a colposcopy where they saw abnormal cells and took 2 biopsies.

I got a letter through a few days ago saying they're CIN3 and I have my LLETZ appointment in just over 2 weeks. I wish they'd been able to see problem cells and do the LLETZ on the day - I can't stop worrying about it!

I do feel a bit under prepared, in the sense that none of the friends I've spoken to about it have any clue and none of the letters I've been sent are very informative!

I hope you're recovering well?

Hi everyone,

Just want to say thank you to all of you for sharing, It has helped! 

When you look at the statistics it makes you realise how unlikely it is to be anything more than abnormal cells / HPV. That in itself is keeping me sane! 

The only reason I had the LLETZ during my Colposcopy appointment was because the Gynae said they were too servere to leave for any longer, however I won't know exactly what the results are until they have been tested so I am anxiously waiting for my letter.

IF250855, the LLETZ treatment isn't as bad as it sounds. It's over VERY quickly and you don't feel anything apart from heat (not burning, it's just a bit warm). I know, I agree with you about the letters. The first one I received telling me I had High Grade Dyskaryosis didn't even explain what that was. I'm recovering well thank you :), it hasn't been too bad so far  but without going into too much detail on this public post I'm very aware that I've had a procedure done down there.. 

Please drop me a message if you want to talk or ask me anything about it pre or post treatment :) it makes things easier if you can speak to someone who is in the same position xx

Hi

One fairly recent survey showed that only about 63% of women age 25-29y attended for cervical screening as per following link:

https://www.jostrust.org.uk/about-us/our-research-and-policy-work/our-research/barriers-cervical-screening-among-25-29-year-olds

It is of course worrying to get abnormal cells, which may need some treatment, but it's good that everyone on this thread has attended for their smear tests -  don't ever stop (see my back story).