Age 24, clueless reg. results! (children mentioned)

Hi everyone,

I am 24 years of age. Turned up for my smear test, nervous but not thinking too much in to it. In the 8 days wait that I had before receiving my results, I had convinced myself that everything was fine. Upon opening my letter, I found out that I was HPV positive and had high grade (severe) dyskaryosis. I got an apt for a colposcopy 6 days later, thankfully. I was given lletz procedure by local anaesthetic on the day, being told that what was removed will be sent away for a biopsy and to wait 4 weeks for my results. I am obviously suffering the symptoms after the procedure, which isn't pleasant and definitely isn't helping with coping, but I am an absolute mess. I have been signed off work for the remaining healing time as I just cannot cope. I'm a nervous wreck. I am a single parent to a 2 year old girl, so trying to stick to normality is a must, but it makes moment to myself an emotional whirlwind. Can somebody please tell me what the results from the biopsy could possibly say? I was never told was 'CIN' I had, although the 'high grade' from the results tells me it was either 'CIN2' or 'CIN3'. Am I waiting to be told if I have cancer or not? If I will need follow up treatment? Please can somebody help me out. Also, this website has helped me so, so much. This is my first post, but just reading some of the things on here are comforting.

thank you,
Kelly

Hi there 

Bless you, I sympathise totally with you and what you are going through. I had  high risk HPV and severe dyskaryosis /changes . I didn't really cope well the entire time I was a complete mess, had to be sent home from my work and it totally consumed my thoughts and I could not function . I had CIN 3 meaning all the cells on the cervix were affected :-( I worried for weeks in the end i asked for my consultant to ring me back with results as I was a nervous wreck . How I understood it was that the cells at this stage are pre cancerous- however with me, all abnormal cells were removed with LLETZ and I was told it was clear with no further disease found . I'm currently awaiting my six month smear and test of cure with my GP surgery in September . It's worrying but I understand that the procedure we have had is thought to be very successful. I was more upset about the HPV virus and hoping that I will clear the virus now .. I still have it on my mind but hope it will be ok eventually . Hope this helps, try to keep busy and as calm as you can 

Lorna x 

Hi Lorna,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Everytime I snap out of my absolute meltdown, or someone reassures me like that, I feel like a bit of a fool for worrying so much. I know the success rate of these things too. As you said though, it just completely consumes your thoughts.

Hopefully I get the all clear like yourself. How long did it take for you to get your results? And are you still ridiculed with worry waiting for your 6 month follow up?

Kelly. X

Hi Kelly 

Hope you are ok. You are not a fool- its so hard not to worry about it. It's horrible :-( ..

Well my story is a bit of a mess ... Had a 10 week wait for my biopsy results I got lost in the system was so anxious my gp had to chase it up . At that point he said I was suffering from extreme anxiety. Following LLETZ I was promised a 4 week wait which crept into 5 . In the end I called my consultant sec and he then called me back with my results and to apologise for being kept waiting . Don't be waiting - give them a call to chase it up if you don't hear anything . 

And yes, I've still got it on my mind tho not as bad as before. It traumatised me that much being prodded and poked etc that it's put me off any sort of contact with men lol! Don't think anyone really understands that but I worry about being infected further :-( . I'm doing my best not to be overly worried but it's there in my mind . 

Abnormal smear nov 2014

Colposcopy dec 2014 severe dyskaryosis high risk HPV 

LLETZ march 2015

Results April- confirm CIN3 - all removed no further disease found 

Hi Lornie38,

thank you so much for your reply. 

Cannot believe you waited 10 weeks, that must have been hell for you. I was warned that my doctors secretary was on holiday for two weeks, so I'm expecting a bit of a longer wait than 4 weeks to be honest.

It's weird like, as soon as I start feeling happy or someone is able to reassure me, I then snap out of it and the world is coming to an end again. 

Need to keep telling myself that it is all out of my hands regardless. Got a holiday booked with my partner in 3 weeks, our first break together. It will hopefully be the first time having sex since the surgery too, which I'm a little nervous about. Have you braved that yet?

i can't believe the symptoms you are left with after a lletz! Revolting.

anyway, so glad to see your results were eventually okay, really happy for you. And thanks again. Hope to hear from you.

Kelly. X

Hi Kelly, what a very quick process it has been for you. Hopefully that means you will receive your results sooner rather than later. You don't want that hanging over you on your holiday! You should be perfectly fine in another 3 weeks and be able to go back to romance. It is a little strange first, because people have poked in there with different tools, its hard to get that out of your head, but it gets easier.

The best scenario for you now will be that the LLETZ results confirm that they have removed all of the offending cells, and they will check you again in 6 mths time. I was totally relieved when I received that letter and for 5 months after, then the worry creeps back a little before the next appt, but I'm not have as obsessed and consumed by it as I was last year.

Wishing you all the best xxx

Joanne

Hi Kelly 

Yes I waited 10 weeks it was awful :-( 

I do hope you enjoy your break and get back to normal again :-) I'm sure you will. No I havnt braved it- kind of on my own at the moment. My engagement broke up just before this kicked off so I was in a bad way anyway. We are sort of  friends now , he says I've got to get over it sooner or later but I can't right now I'm not interested . I'm sure we will all be fine, you are right in saying that it's out of our hands anyway. Least we can be there for each other 

Lorna x

Hi Kelly 

Yes I waited 10 weeks it was awful :-( 

I do hope you enjoy your break and get back to normal again :-) I'm sure you will. No I havnt braved it- kind of on my own at the moment. My engagement broke up just before this kicked off so I was in a bad way anyway. We are sort of  friends now , he says I've got to get over it sooner or later but I can't right now I'm not interested . I'm sure we will all be fine, you are right in saying that it's out of our hands anyway. Least we can be there for each other 

Lorna x

I'm so sorry to hear that Lorna. 

Most definetely, this is the place to come to. As good as friends, family and partners can be, there's no one who can comfort you more than women who themselves have been through it. 

May be out of hands, but 100% in our hands when it comes to causing awareness.

Keep your chin up lady. 

Kelly. X

Exactly - no one except those who have actually gone through it really understand.. The same to you stay positive and try to relax x

I'd just like to add, as it's been playing on my mind since getting the diagnosis really... I suffered a miscarriage at 6 weeks in December. Could this all be related? 

Kelly. X

Hi Kelly 

Hope you are ok , I'm afraid I really don't know about that - may be worth checking that out with your consultant . Hope you get sorted soon