Colposcopy Anxiety

Hi guys, 

Just needing to share and maybe get advice from those who have gone through the same thing without any judgement. I went for my anual pap about 2 months ago. I got a call back saying I had chlamydia AND an abnormal pap. This blew my mind because I haven't been sexually active in almost a year and had no symptoms whatsoever. Either way, I took the meds they prescribed me and they scheduled the colposcopy for 4 weeks to ensure the meds had cleared the infection. 

Today was the day of my colposcopy. I should mention I have had an abnomal pap before in 2015 with a different doctor. He called and told me not to worry and it was just HPV and just come back the next year. I did and everything was normal. So it's worried me that I had to get a procedure done this time. The doctor was very nice and answered all of my questions and told me about the potential risk of CIN. She also said sometimes chlamydia can cause an abnormal pap, but the results did not show exactly what caused it. She told me I'd have to come back in 6 months no matter what to do a follow up pap to make sure everything looks good. During the procedure she said she saw a few spots with abnormal cells. This kind of worried me but she didn't seem concerned. On my way to check out the receptionist looked at the computer and said I will have to come back in 6 weeks to follow up. Before the dr had said 6 months. Is this normal? Or did she maybe see something and she knew it would be serious? 

I've got bad anxiety over this stuff and I feel like I haven't taken care of my body like I should have. I'm just a nervous wreck. I work in a government building in DC that has no cell service inside, so I know I am going to be going crazy knowing they could have called with results but I won't be able to see the call and answer the phone until I get off work. Any advice or kind words could really help. Thank you guys

Hi Zoey, 

Waiting for test results is truly dire. I feel your pain. I rang every week to see if mine were in. Maybe try on your lunch?

I'm waiting to attend my 6 month check up which is normal, you should have a yearly check up too! I know it's hard not to stress and worry but I hope this has helped even a little bit! :)