Colposcopy and Cervical Ectropian query

Hi.  Writing on behalf of my daughter who is desperate for some reassurance.  Short story she completed 2 years aggressive treatment for locally advanced breast cancer (diagnosed when she was 23, and treatment completed late last year).Since then she has complained of spine and hip pain (no bone mets found last year).  She has now had some random bleeding and period type pains and saw gp this week. GP has referred her for urgent colposcopy for suspected gynaecological cancer.  Obvs they put that to fastrack her which is good to know they are not taking chances.  Apparently the gp could see a red ectropian type area on cervix (even drew a little picture for my daughter).   I read up on here about cervical ectropian where it seems it is most common in pregnancy, adolescents, and post menopausal women on hrt and is probably due to hormonal changes particularly higher levels of estrogen. It is otherwise very unlikely in post menopausal women.  As my daughter is now on total hormonal supression (chemically induced menopause and has been since her diagnosis of bc in 2018), is cervical ectropian even likely and if not, what else could this mean. She tested positive for HPV after her first ever smear test last year and is due a recall next month.  She has only had 1 partner which lasted one year, ending just prior to her bc diagnosis.  She tested negative for other sti's.  She is terrified for the colposcopy so any advice on what to expect would also be good.  Thank you

Hi, 

I didnt want to read and run, so to speak, although I dont have the knowledge to help with your question about ectropion. I would consider using the "ask an expert" function on this website, I have used it a couple of times myself, and found them really helpful.

With regards the fear for colposcopy, I too was absolutely terrified. There is lots of detail on the info section on the main Jo's site that explains what happens, in many ways the examination is not dissimilar to a smear test but obviously takes a little longer, you may have the speculum inserted for 5 to 10 minutes. Breathing exercises definitely helped me too. If they take a punch biopsy then it may be a bit painful but most people say it's not at all - I had 2, and one of them I didnt even feel and the other one was quite sore. Why not take a couple of paracetamol before hand as a precaution, though most people here do say the punch biopsy is painless. 

For my 2nd colposcopy I was able to get a mild sedative on prescription for 1 tablet from my gp, to take 90min before. I was fully aware of what was going on but nice and calm. So that's an option if she feels totally unable to cope with her fears.

Your daughter sounds like a strong woman who has already faced so much and I'm sorry that she is now facing this anxiety too. Everyone on this forum understands how stressful it can be, and we will be glad to help and support.

All the best x

Thank you so much for your reply.  You have given some good ideas i.e. paracetemol and/or sedative which I had not considered.  However, the hospital rang today to confirm her appointment, but said the Consultant, having read the referral letter and my daughters notes, decided he wanted to see her for a full consultatation instead so she has not been booked in for the Colposcopy.  Not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing but I do know my daughter is really scared and very confused. But thank you for your advice which I will take forward if she does end up having the Colposcopy.