Colposcopy and biopsy following treatment

Hi everyone,

I’m nearly a year out of treatment (chemo, radiotherapy, and brachy) and have been NED. Had a followup with my oncologist in Oct and because she could see a slightly raised red patch at the top of my vagina and I’ve had some bleeding after sex, she referred me for colposcopy so they could take a closer look. She did say she wasn’t worried and thought it looked and felt like scar tissue.

Anyway, I had the colposcopy today and the doctor said she could see something very small (so small that she struggled to biopsy it). She said she doesn’t think it’s anything other than radiation changes and it stopped bleeding almost immediately after the biopsy which she said was a good sign. I’m panicking though! Ended up crying on the colposcopy bed and feeling like a fool. All the trauma flooded back to me.

Has anyone had biopsies after treatment that have come back as just scar tissue?

Thanks xx

Hello there,

I just wanted to chime in and say I am also getting a colposcopy post treatment (same as yours) but I’m only 4 months post treatment. I had an abnormal pap which is why I was told I need to get one. Hopefully we both have the same out- no cancer and just a bit of scar tissue :two_hearts:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

It’s good to know I’m not the only one who has to have a colposcopy. I’m not sure I’ve heard of any other people having them after our treatment!

Everything crossed that it’s just scar tissue for both of us :crossed_fingers::heart:

Are you in the US or UK? I’m in the US… and they tend to do things a bit different. Like the pap smears… it seems like most people who have gone through treatment won’t have one because of the radiation damage and how it causes abnormal cells. But who knows. At this point I just do what they tell me and hope for the best lol.

I’m in the UK. Yeah, we don’t have pap smears here after treatment because apparently they throw out some odd results :woman_shrugging:

I do find it strange that they don’t use one system for all of us, but like you say, I just do what I’m told and hope the experts make the right decision! :sweat_smile: