cin2 progression

I was diagnosed with cin1 4.5 years ago and since then I’ve been getting pap smears every 6 months with colposcopies every year. Throughout this time, I’ve had 2 negative and normal pap smears. The last normal one was 6 months so I had high hopes that everything was going to be ok and would be normal again. I went in for my annual and the pap smear came back as abnormal again so I was ordered to come back for a colposcopy. I just found out yesterday that my cin1 has progressed to cin2. It’s been a really frustrating experience for me and I’m really confused as to how I could have a normal pap smear 6 months ago and then end up progressing to cin2. I feel really hopeless since I’m pretty active, have a healthy diet, and have been taking a variation of vitamins to try and resolve this and seems like nothing is working and I’m just wasting my time. Has anyone had this experience?

1 Like

Hi KT,

I am sorry you’re going through this. It definitely is worrying, especially when Google gives us horror stories!

I can share my story in the hopes it helps you. I have been HPV positive since 2019, and in March 2023 I had abnormalities which my practice nurse advised was CIN1. I was referred to colposcopy and had to wait until November before I could be seen due to current wait times in western Scotland. When I went to colposcopy, the Dr told me it was borderline changes and not to worry, but when she actually looked at my cervix, her words were “the cells are much higher in grade than your smear would suggest, this will be because you’ve had to wait on this appointment”. She took biopsies and they came back saying I had CIN3 and CGIN.

I was really worried because like you, I live a healthy lifestyle. I’m a healthy weight, I don’t drink alcohol, I take my vitamins, and I’ve only just turned 28. I guess it’s just one of these things, we can be as healthy as possible and still become unlucky.

I had my LLETZ procedure on the 11th of this month and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it was a success.

I wish you the very best of luck, and don’t beat yourself up. X

Hi Janes,

Thank you so much for sharing. That’s horrible that you had to wait so long for an appointment and that it progressed while waiting. How have you managed to keep your spirits high? I’m hopeful that the result of your treatment was a success.