CIN 1 to CIN 2 within 2 months

Hi all,

I’m new to this and i’m hoping to get some feedback from what others have experienced.

I’m 32 and all of my previous smears have all come back normal. I got my re-call letter at the end of 2020 and ended up holding off until May this year to have my smear done (with covid and generally just wanting to put the dreaded smear test off).

I then got a call from my GP in July to say my smear came back to say I was HPV positive, with abnormal cells detected at CIN 1 stage. As someone who always had normal smears this really worried me. I have been single for many years (too embarassing to say how long!) But i had 3 sexual partners between my previous smear in 2017 and the abnormal one this year so i’m concerned I have had the HPV in my system for longer than the general 2 years they say it’s meant to take for your body to fight it off itself (not to mention the guilt and regret of these sexual encounters that led to nothing.

So i went for colposcopy at the end of July and had a biopsy taken and the consultant had a look and didn’'t feel there was anything he was overly concerned about. I rang a few times to enquire about results & was told they are 2 months behind (setting in more panic!) And then I rang today and was told they are bringing me back in a couple of weeks for another colposcopy appointment and that the biopsy showed that the CIN 1 has progressed to CIN 2 (high grade). I was really trying to listen to others and be positive but I’ve been in tears most of today and just wondered if anyone has had a similiar experience and what was your outcome?

*side note: over the past few years I have also been to the GP regarding a lump down there (inside…probably in and around the cervix wall? And to the left) i get a dull ache between the top of my leg and that area on the left now and again but Doctors just keep telling me they don’t think it’s anything to worry about but now i’m anxious that it is related to all of this. I should also say that I can’t brimg myself to feel up there again as it terrified me when I felt it.

Sorry for the essay but any responses would be greatly appreciated as i’m a nervous wreck.

Hey, I’ve popped on here this eve as I’m waiting for “test of cure” or whatever they call it. I had 2 LLETZ procedures, my smear showed “borderline changes” my colp showed CIN3 and CGIN so had LLETZ I didn’t have clear margins then had second LLETZ. I also had a lump a few years ago Pre this LLETZ issue and it was nothing, I’ve had ultrasounds etc due to possible Endo also. I haven’t really got much reassuring to say unfortunately but what I will say is be kind to yourself. It’s very easy for people to say “it’s nothing to worry about” etc but you need time to process and be realistic with yourself also. I know numerous women that had LLETZ twice and it worked. Wishing you all the best x

Thank you for replying, it’s reassuring to hear other peoples experiences. I’m just so worried that it has went from CIN 1 to CIN 2, and with the lump I felt previously i’m scared it’s all related but no-one has really gave that any notice (GP’s or this consultant i’m seeing now). I have friends/family who keep telling me “stay positive” or “it’s probably nothing” and it makes me feel like i’m idiot for being worried or scared. I know they mean well but I feel like I need to be realistic and prepare for the worst just in case.