CIN1, HPV & LLETZ Decision

Hi,

I was due to have LLETZ tomorrow but unfortunately, the doctor has just come down with COVID so it's been postponed for a few weeks. I was all set for the procedure but the nurse who called today has left me a little confused as she asked me whether I'd really thought about having LLETZ and it may not be necessary until after I have children. 

I've had HPV and CIN1 for 2 1/2 years so the doctor believes it's persistent and that at this stage I am very unlikely to cure it naturally since I live a healthy lifestyle. He said as only a third of my cervix is infected, he is confident now is my best shot to get rid of HPV and at this stage the benefits outweigh the risks. 

The nurse said to me that as I'm CIN1 I can wait for treatment, keep getting checked every 6 months and possibly have LLETZ after children. She also mentioned that getting rid of HPV is no guarantee. However, I'm 30 and single so unlikely to be able to have children for at least 2 years and I understand that you're advised not to try for children at CIN2 or 3 and my fear is that the cells could easily change in that time frame. 

Just wondering whether anyone has had similar conflicting information and any advice they could give? My thinking is I know it's not usual for treatment at CIN1 stage but whilst we're in lockdown it's a great time to recover from LLETZ. 

Thanks

Fran

Hi Fran

Personally I would take the doctors advice, it sounds as though they want to get the HPV gone now me they are confident they can do that. I don't see why you would wait any longer for a chance for it to develop further and for the CIN to become any higher. 
Don't think there is much else to say other than go for it in my opinion.

Ultimately it's your choice if you refuse the treatment but to me it sounds like you are thinking the same but that one nurse has sewn a seed of doubt. I imagine many other nurses would be saying the complete opposite. 
It's definitely a great time to recover. 
Take care xx

Hiya,

I had a cone biopsy in early 20s and went on to have 2 beautiful girls in my 30s. Both pregnancies were monitored as high risk due to my shortened cervix. I had lots of internal scans to make sure everything was ok. If you have a smaller cervix after and get pregnant, a cervical stitch is an option I believe. IMO, treatment is prob best to get done now while you can