CIN 2 watch and wait

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to see if anyone else had been advised a watch & wait approach for CIN 2, after getting biopsy results? And anyone’s CIN 2 actually regress? I have a repeat colposcopy booked in 6 months. I’m wondering if it is dangerous to leave CIN 2 as it seems that most hospitals treat CIN 2? I’m 28, so not super young.

Thank you,
xx

Hi there, I'm a lot older than you (38) but I was told that had I been under 30 then given it was a small area, also CIN 2, that they would have taken the watch and wait approach too. The nurse basically explained the whole thing about our immune systems potentially being able to clear it without treatment, but because I'm soooo ancient my immune system probably wouldnt be able to clear it.

From what I have read I think different hospitals have different approaches now surrounding whether or not to treat straight away, although I dont think they would simply leave it if they thought there was any real danger to you. Interestingly though I said to the nurse that given I have always been a major worrier then even if I was under 30 I probably would have asked for it to have been removed anyway and she said they would have. 

Sorry that probably hasnt offered any help at all! But from what the nurse and dr said to me, is that after 30 our immune systems weaken a lot but before that there is a good chance it can clear up without treatment. 

Hope your ok and not too stressed out with this (easier said than done I know!) but if you are really concerned then I would speak to your GP or the hospital again as stess really doesnt do us any good either.

Take care hun xxx

Hi CASBC,

No that is really helpful, thank you. So maybe as I'm under 30 they want to wait. The colposcopist also said to me that it was a small area. So maybe this has something to do with it? I left the colposcopy feeling quite relaxed as she said it was a small area, and probably mild, so I was a bit shocked when it came back as CIN 2! 

Anyway that's great that your treatment was successful! 

Thank you very much

xx

Hi Opal

I'm so glad what I said was helpful, as I have a tendency to waffle and not just get to the point hehe.

Yeah it sounds like that is exactly what they are saying, your under 30 and as its a small area they would rather wait and check again in 6 months.

I really wasnt sure what to expect as I was graded as severe from my smear, but then they said they were suprised how mild and small the area looked but until my biopsy results came through they couldnt really tell. 

I total understand that you felt shocked by the CIN2 result, but I think the great news is that they think there is the chance that it can clear up itself, there is no way they would just leave it if they thought they were putting you at risk. 

Oh and thank you so much, I have to admit I was expecting the worst! I'm so bad like that though. I now just want to make sure that I fight off any remaining virus so I've started taking some supplements to help my immune system! 

Take care hun xxx